Using Non-Dive Bags For Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I bought a duffel bag today for carrying dive gear from Mountain Equipment Co-op (big Canadian company). It's got great reviews and it's highly recommended, but not sure if it's suitable for diving.

Here it is (large) - MEC Duffle Bag - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

Does anyone have experience using non-dive bags for dive gear? I'm going to put in everything but the weights and tanks.

Thanks

It's been a long time since I owned an actual dive bag. I used rolling duffels from HIGH SIERRA for a while. I was happy with them, especially considering the price (<$100). But most of my travel entails guiding my gear from a taxi to an baggage counter. So I don't need backpack straps; I need four wheels, and I need it as light and durable as I can get. I use COSMOLITE luggage now. It's standard luggage, a little on the pricy side, but it's very light, durable so far, and has the wheels and handle I need for convenient airport use. I bring a mesh bag for the last 50 meters, from my hotel room to the boat.

I use the X-large size MEC Duffle Bag and its amazing, holds all my gear and large coffee Thermos, just wash it out after each dive, I wash mine
in the tub after washing my gear and so far its lasted five years.

Any bag can do as long as it's able to take the abuse and salt water

A friend of mine uses an old hockey bag of his, no problems.

Fresh water here so just need something quick drying or that can be easily rinsed to get river-water smell out of it

i'm with melanie-hockey bags rule!!
water proof interior=dry trunk of car/scuba transport/rv
cheap and roomy!!!
...and keeps that"just went diving" smell in one place!!!!
have fun
yaeg

I am using a plastic coated hockey bag from Canadian tire, generic brand. After 10 years or hockey use and 50 dives worth of dive use it is no worse for wear. The only "dive bag" I use is my reg bag.

My first dive bag was a duffel bag from Sears. It had a brass zipper and held up for over 6 years of diving in salt water. I did rinse it out with fresh water after ever 20 dives or so. The zipper finally gave out and I used it without a zipper for another year or so.

I use the X-large size MEC Duffle Bag and its amazing, holds all my gear and large coffee Thermos, just wash it out after each dive, I wash mine
in the tub after washing my gear and so far its lasted five years.

Any bag can do as long as it's able to take the abuse and salt water

Thanks Wetsuit. It's nice to hear good things from someone with the exact same bag. Maybe I should have gotten the X-Large, but the Large seems to fit everything.

Thanks for all the other answers as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom