Using New Gear and Dive Report -- A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I submited a post a day or so ago regarding some new gear I bought and adjusted I made to the regulators. Thought I would post a summary of the report and the dive itself.

First of all -- for those who replied with advice on regulator hose adjustments -- thanks. I did tighten the hoses up with a wrench and saw no sign of leaks when submerged.

As for the dive -- it was a full moon (or nearly so) last night for our dive up in Nahant, a long, narrow penninsula located just north of Boston. We were diving at Canoe Beach, a pebbly beach -- dive site is a cove with rocks on both sides and relatively sandy in the middle. Our plan was to navigate a straight out and back course towards one of the "points" at the left mouth of the cove.

We went into the water at 9:01PM. Surface water temp upon entry was 52F (all but one of us was wetsuit diving). Maximum depth was 27 feet. While I enjoyed the dive, I would characterize it as one of those "learning experiences". Why -- too many variables altered at the same time. (1) I removed my ankle weights to try and reduce kicking effort and overall weight carried; (2) I wore a pair of very heavy wool socks under my booties for additional warmth (my booties are very leaky); (3) I was carrying a bunch of new gear (new wrist mounted Vyper computer and Suunto compass -- one on each arm, SPG clipped off to left hip D ring on a shorter hose than I am used to, new regulator); and (4) We were diving at night with visibility of about 8-10 feet. I have been on several night dives in similar conditions before, but with so many "new" variables.....

The biggest problem was my trim -- not sure if the socks affected my buoyancy, but the absence of the ankle weights definitely did. I felt like my feet were arched up over my head the entire dive -- very uncomfortable. I know that "feet up/head down" is the preferred position of many divers, but my feet where too far up and back to be comfortable for me. At the same time, about halfway through the dive I began to get mild-moderate cramps in my calves (so much for all the swimming I've been doing this winter -- guess I need to use fins in the pool more often) -- it's hard to stretch your calves when your feet are arched up over your head.

The gear -- not a big deal -- just took some getting used to. Biggest "aha" was to avoid shining the fu#$ing dive light directly at the face of the computer while the face is facing directly towards you -- you can't read it and the reflection blinds you! The Vyper has a nice backlight feature that I kept forgetting about. I had the SPG clipped off to my left hip D ring (no console, just a single brass gauge) -- it was very difficult to see without really craning my neck. Finally I just unclipped it and had it under my arm -- very easy. I have to say I love this Uwatec master diver SPG -- very precise markings and easy to read luminescent face. Not sure if I need a longer hose or a better clip that I can manipulate more easily -- need to do some trial and error on this.

The Suunto wrist-mount compass is also great. It works much better than the vast majority of console compasses I've used (I've rented quite a few over the past year). Glow in the dark face is a nice feature. I never felt like I had to wait very long for the compass to "right" itself when I held it up to read it. Easy to read side window. Bezel is easy to maneuver. One of the big concerns I had is whether I could mount this thing on my wrist with heavy 5-7mm gloves on -- no problems. My "process" for getting the computer and compass on my wrist with heavy gloves was as follows -- put right glove on. Use ungloved left hand to mount computer on right wrist over glove. Put left glove on. Use right hand to mount compass on left wrist.

So with all of this "stuff" happening, I felt like I spent more time "fiddling" and less time enjoying the dive. Regardless, diving is fun and I emerged from the water feeling that I had won a small victory by completing a 40 minute night dive under somewhat trying circumstances.

What did we see -- bottom was rocky with some open sandy areas. On our journey out, we did not see a whole lot of marine live (probably because I was preoccupied with gear fiddling) -- green sea urchins, a few small lobsters and what looked like haddock. My buddy saw a fairly good sized ocean pout curled up on the bottom -- I apparently swam right over it without seeing it (again -- no doubt fiddling with gear). On the way back in, we saw a couple of good sized skates, one of which almost crashed into me when Mike startled him.

Statistics -- water temp 52F at surface, 48 degrees at depth. Bottom time = 40 minutes. Maximum depth = 27 FSW. Visibility = 8-10 feet. Swam against a mild-moderate surge on the trip out due to incoming tide.

Oh, by the way GM, I did meet Brandi and told her you said hello. Apparently you guys are regular buddies for Nubble/Portsmouth-area dives. She sends her best.

Large

I have found that putting a short piece of surgical tubing on the spg and clip instead of line makes a big difference. You do not need to unclip the spg and if the view is obstruced somewhat you can just pull out on the gauge to get a better view.

Brad

glad all worked out better than worse. i assumed you WOULD
use a wrench and make them "hand tight" rather than cranking
them down. my mistake for not specifying "use a wrench but
don't go crazy" ;-)

the socks should not effect your trim; they will absorb
water. the neoprene is the "culprit". there is nothing
wrong with opening up your ankle weights and removing some
of the lead-shot. you really don't need a LOT of weight
on your ankles to offset the neo boots, etc. i did just that
and it seems to have done the trick.

as for the SPG clip, you are in cold water wearing heavy
gloves i'd recommend using large clips. how long is the
HP hose?

isn't having gauges on your wrist much more convenient
than having to drag a console forward? replace the straps
with shock-cord and you will have no problems donning
gauges even while wearing gloves/mitts.

GM,

Yes -- wrist mount is definitely the way to go.

Yes, shock cord would no doubt work better -- I need to figure out how to get the "watch-bands" off of the gauges and how to attach the shock cord.

Thanks for all the pointers.

-C

As for the length of the SPG hose -- perhaps 24"? I ordered the SPG from Extreme Exposure and it came with the hose already attached. I'll have to measure it tonight.

Hey LD,

Sounds like fun - I did run my SPG on the suggested left belt D-rig - but had the same issue as you - so I moved the clip up to the left shoulder D-ring and I don't have to unclip it from there to see it.

As far as the necklace goes - I used "pull knots" on both sides of the mouthpiece and then I clamped them down with a zip tie. As far as length - when the shock cord is not being stretched it reaches out as far as wrist to fingertips - seems to work for me.

Dane

Hey Dane... where do you get your shock cord? I'm not in the mood to buy special-diver-dive-shop-priced bungee :).

-kate

Kate,

I got mine at "West Marine", comes in different sizes.
But any marine supply store should have it.

Also, found some small bungee cord in Home Depot in the form of giant pony tail holders. Came 12 in a plastic jar.

ID

Back
Top Bottom