Using closed fins (no booties) and slippery boat surfaces

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My diving is of the warm water variety.

I typically take my Mares Superchannel fins (with heel springs that I've put on) and my Harvey's Kobalt booties. This combination adds several pounds.

We all know that the airlines are getting much more restrictive regarding weight allowances and I'm trying to shave several pounds off of my equipment check-in bag.

I also have a pair of closed heel Oceanic Caribe-X fins which do the job just fine and are much lighter and don't require booties. The problem is that climbing the ladder (on some "boats" the ladders are barely adequate to begin with) and walking on a wet,slippery and rocking dive boat especially right after surfacing (before I can put my sandals on) can be hazardous and I like to have the foot and grip support of the booties.

Does anyone know if there are socks with rubber grips that can be used with my closed fins?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Maybe these lightweight Mares Equator 2mm rubber-soled boots would solve your problem:

mar00352.jpg

Details at

Equator 2mm boots MARES Socks & boots Accessories United States Of America Dive Scuba store .com

They can be worn with full-foot fins. Though thin, you should check whether your foot pockets still fit when wearing the boots. Back in the 1960s, when I started, we often owned two pairs of full-foot fins, one normal size for pool use, the other one size larger when booties were worn.

Thanks but I have something similar but even thinner but there's no way they I can get them on with the closed fins.

I guess I should have anticipated the problem and bought fins several sizes larger.

Thanks

Maybe these lightweight Mares Equator 2mm rubber-soled boots would solve your problem:

View attachment 46160

Details at

Equator 2mm boots MARES Socks & boots Accessories United States Of America Dive Scuba store .com

They can be worn with full-foot fins. Though thin, you should check whether your foot pockets still fit when wearing the boots. Back in the 1960s, when I started, we often owned two pairs of full-foot fins, one normal size for pool use, the other one size larger when booties were worn.

Back
Top Bottom