Using Apeks second stage on Aqualung First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Run away from your service guy and select an independent place. If the service guy is not able or willing to connect an xtx 2nd to an AL legend he shouldn’t be trusted with your stuff.

Like Umuntu said a couple posts up. The shop is unwilling to risk getting into trouble with Aqualung. I can certainly attach a second stage, but it is periodic service that I am not trained to do, have no equipment to do, no ability to buy parts for and frankly, don't have the time for. I know of no independent techs in my area that can access AL parts for servicing regs. I could mix and match bits and pieces at service time to get by and make it work, but it may just not be worth the hassle since this was really just about me wanting to try the larger exhaust tee for photography reasons.

I might just keep an eye out for a good deal on an Apeks, and buy both the first and second and try it out someday.

It's still possible to get them serviced. Just disconnect the Apeks 2nd Stage and put a plug in where it was. Take them into the LDS like that and they will come back like that. Make sure that you tell LDS you want the 2nd Stage tuned to the the same IP setting as the 1st Stage.

Now if you really just want a wide exhaust Tee, there are lots of Aqualung Conshelf XIV 2nd Stages available on eBay periodically. The metal Conshelf XIV 2nd Stages have wider Tees than the plastic ones. And since they are both Aqualung … you shouldn't have a problem getting them serviced. :wink:

Like Umuntu said a couple posts up. The shop is unwilling to risk getting into trouble with Aqualung. I can certainly attach a second stage, but it is periodic service that I am not trained to do, have no equipment to do, no ability to buy parts for and frankly, don't have the time for. I know of no independent techs in my area that can access AL parts for servicing regs. I could mix and match bits and pieces at service time to get by and make it work, but it may just not be worth the hassle since this was really just about me wanting to try the larger exhaust tee for photography reasons.

I might just keep an eye out for a good deal on an Apeks, and buy both the first and second and try it out someday.
Is the shop aware that Aqualung owns Apeks. This is a prime example why LDS are dying.

Is the shop aware that Aqualung owns Apeks. This is a prime example why LDS are dying.

Yes, they know, shop sells Aqualung and Apeks. Since this si a bit more hassle than I hoped it would be, I am gong to do some checking and see if I can get some input from other photographers on whether the wider Tee really makes much difference. If it does, I will probably give this a try and work around the Aqualung restrictions. Or, maybe I will just buy and Apeks first and second stage, despite liking my Aqualung. But I will first try to get some input on whether the difference really amounts to much.

Run away from your service guy and select an independent place. If the service guy is not able or willing to connect an xtx 2nd to an AL legend he shouldn’t be trusted with your stuff.

To say someone who is unwilling or unable to make the swap cannot be trusted with your gear is a bit extreme in my opinion....

Businesses need to minimize risk and liability. I completely understand their reason for not wanting to or not being able to do this. It increases risk and liability. I would think that still applied whether an establishment is independent or not. Given how litigious people can be and if I were an employee or owner of a shop, I would not only be careful with what i did or did not do but also with what I say. People can and will get themselves into some trouble and next you will hear them say you said it was okay, I felt like you were an authority in the field, etc. I am too worst case scenario and a worry wart to ever own a dive shop as you can see. :D Well, and poor. :wink:

With that said.....my LDS sold a friend a Scubapro first and second stage and then she bought a AL octo and they hooked everything right up for her. YMMV!

To say someone who is unwilling or unable to make the swap cannot be trusted with your gear is a bit extreme in my opinion....

Businesses need to minimize risk and liability. I completely understand their reason for not wanting to or not being able to do this. It increases risk and liability. I would think that still applied whether an establishment is independent or not. Given how litigious people can be and if I were an employee or owner of a shop, I would not only be careful with what i did or did not do but also with what I say. People can and will get themselves into some trouble and next you will hear them say you said it was okay, I felt like you were an authority in the field, etc. I am too worst case scenario and a worry wart to ever own a dive shop as you can see. :D Well, and poor. :wink:

With that said.....my LDS sold a friend a Scubapro first and second stage and then she bought a AL octo and they hooked everything right up for her. YMMV!
If I would run my business like that I would be out of work very quickly. I don’t think it is extreme to expect reasonable behavior from a LDS.

If I would run my business like that I would be out of work very quickly. I don’t think it is extreme to expect reasonable behavior from a LDS.

I agree it is not extreme to expect reasonable behavior from a LDS. I think it is reasonable behavior for a LDS to want to minimize risk and liability. For that decision, I would still trust them with my gear in that I don’t believe it to be a quality or safety issue if they serviced my gear but like suggested, if that is really what I wanted and they wouldn’t do it, I would try to find another shop that is willing to do it for me while understanding why they wouldn’t do it. It’s hard to blame them for their decision. Thankfully, not all shops may think that way but no doubt it is a hassle for the consumer.

In my example LDS, it wasn’t even AL and Apeks which are kind of one and the same. It was AL and SP which makes it even more rad that they did it. :)

I'm wondering what the "risk and liability" is combing two compatible stages owned by the same company. Does seem a little silly to me, but then I don't own a business so have no idea about how these things work.

Back
Top Bottom