Using Apeks second stage on Aqualung First

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can an Apeks XTX second stage be used on an Aqualung legend LX first stage? if so, any problems or issues to consider?

Thanks

Should not be a problem, at worst the second stage might need to be slightly adjusted but odds are it won't.

As above, it'll be just fine.

Legend 135+/-5
Apeks 130-145

Second stage "might" need a slight tweak but as Herman says, probably not.

I thought I read somewhere that the newer legends are supposed be something like 115-125 or something like that.

I thought I read somewhere that the newer legends are supposed be something like 115-125 or something like that.

It depends on which Legend. The Standard has the range of 130-145 psi. The Supreme / Glacia has the range of 116-130 psi. The lower medium pressure is for colder water.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity I just called a local AL shop and talked to the tech. He says for the newest legends, the IP spec is lower. He told me what it is and I forgot already . Something like 116-128. Of course, being an AL shop he also told me attaching an Apeks 2nd to an AL 1st would mean that they cannot work on the reg, Al won't warranty the reg, and they would not be allowed to bump up the IP beyond factory of the first to work with the second if needed. I doubt that would matter much.

Typical AL crap. For the sake of getting the wider Apeks exhaust Tee, I am not sure it is worth the hassle.

I think I'll just get a rebreather.

Just kidding on that last bit.

Aqualung,Apeks, etc, passed Europe EN250 regulations with , first, second stage and hose all together, so they don ´t recognise, mixing stuff from others brands because this will void the EN250 regulation, but of course you can mix an Aqualung Legend with Apeks second if you need so.

@jd950 That would be true of mixing and matching with the authorised service techs of all brands.

@inka makes a good point above, and particularly for cold water performance the second stage can be crucial to overall performance for the certification.

But from the service technician's perspective it's a question of liability. Mixing brands puts them in a situation of being the "manufacturer" of that 1st and 2nd Stage combination, since it was not tested and certified as a combination by either manufacturer.

In reality, with the exception of Poseidon, most manufacturers use the same range of IP's for their 1st stage (with the environmentally sealed versions having a range 1 bar below the unsealed version). And since the 2nd Stage sees only the IP and not the brand, a 2nd Stage can be tuned to perform with most other 1st Stages. It just voids the warranty.

You can simply separate the 2nd Stage from the 1st Stage before you take it in for servicing. If your LDS is an AL dealer, they are likely also an Apeks dealer.

Back
Top Bottom