Using AIR 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Frog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m not sure this is a Vintage Diving Gear question, but I started using mine a long time ago, so here goes… back when I was trying to streamline my diving rig for both efficiency in the water, I added an AIR 2 combination inflator for my BCD and secondary second stage (octo). This was something over twenty five years ago and my AIR 2 (2nd Gen) outlasted my first BCD and served for several years on the new one, until I suffered my severe case of Divius interruptus. Discussing its use with a couple of dive shop owners and following a couple of discussions from “experts” on the InterWeb I got diametrically opposing views, that they were great and that they made no sense at all!
So my closest friends in the dive community, what think ye? Should I service my faithful and familiar old AIR 2 and treat it to another Bahamas vacation, or is it as one InterWeb “expert” pronounced “a solution in search of a question” and therefore better put on the shelf with my original hula hoop and beanie babies?
🐸

I’m not sure this is a Vintage Diving Gear question, but I started using mine a long time ago, so here goes… back when I was trying to streamline my diving rig for both efficiency in the water, I added an AIR 2 combination inflator for my BCD and secondary second stage (octo). This was something over twenty five years ago and my AIR 2 (2nd Gen) outlasted my first BCD and served for several years on the new one, until I suffered my severe case of Divius interruptus. Discussing its use with a couple of dive shop owners and following a couple of discussions from “experts” on the InterWeb I got diametrically opposing views, that they were great and that they made no sense at all!
So my closest friends in the dive community, what think ye? Should I service my faithful and familiar old AIR 2 and treat it to another Bahamas vacation, or is it as one InterWeb “expert” pronounced “a solution in search of a question” and therefore better put on the shelf with my original hula hoop and beanie babies?
🐸
In my view, it is neither amazing nor the devil.... it is a technique. I personally don't like using them, but it is personal preference. I do recommend that any one who uses them runs a 40 or 48 inch hose under their arm for their primary, and practice primary donate. Also practice ascents and safety stops breathing off the AIR2 (same as I practice my primary donate with a necklaced alternate).
If you like it, roll with it. If not, get another metal Conshelf second (just cause I like chrome!) and figure out your preferred donation/alternate method... and practice it!

Respectfully,

James

OP, have you practiced using it while ascending, and controlling your buoyancy?

For a SOLO diver with a fully redundant back mount Pony with dedicated reg...... An Air 2 makes perfect sense. Remember..... just because you are a Solo diver does not mean that you are always diving alone. Having a dual 2nd stage option to your primary back gas makes sense. And yes...I agree that anyone using an Air 2 should both practice and be fully proficient at controlling an ascent while breathing from their Air 2.

Love my AIR 2! Mine is a 3rd gen, purchased new ca. 1994, to replace my first one, a 2nd gen purchased new in 1987 (which I sold when I needed to purchase a complete second regulator for cavern and basic cave courses I took in 1989). When I use it, I am using a single-hose reg with a ~32" standard-length IP hose that bows out and in, in the "traditional" configuration.

I don't use it when I am running two first stages, either on a Y-valve or on doubles.

And I no longer use it when I am using my double-hose regulator, since my DH has a VDH Phoenix stage from which I run a Scubapro Balanced Adjustable 2nd stage as a "safe second."

Sure, get yours serviced, and go dive in peace--like you used to!

ETA: My daughter (college student) used my AIR 2 last spring for her week-long open water checkout and for her trip a few days later to Roatan.

rx7diver

Good responses so far, looks like one maybe, one no, and one doubtful, and one no way. Does that just about some it up? 😐

So James, does this mean I can call on you for a bright yellow purge button for the octo if I decide to go that way? I’ve still got that Aquarius 1085 box! 😉

formernuke, the most extreme ”real world” situation I’ve had occurred diving the “Atlantis Road” off Bimini. My dive partner (and now ex-girlfriend) kicked my regulator with her fin, leaving me with just a mouth piece clenched firmly in my teeth. Without really thinking about it, I reached down and grabbed the AIR 2 and finished the dive with no further drama. I guess it works in real life for me, huh? 🫤

tursiops, the preceding answer is my most graphic example, but I often fooled around with using it during routine ascents. I’m suffering from Rip Van Winkle Syndrome at this point though, so I’m rusty with a lot of my skills.. but it seems likely that it would be easier to revert to old skill set than start a new one, right? 🤔

Looking back at my response, I hope it didn’t sound too flip. I asked for arguments pro and con so I could make an informed decision and I really appreciate your input. I’ll have to get my AIR 2 overhauled before it can be used. In fact, as time draws close, I may have to go to “Plan B” and use a conventional octo for this trip anyway. 😎

OK, so far so good. Some great input so far. Does anybody have anything further to add, pro or con? 🧐

🐸
PS Two more responses while I was typing. Thanks and thanks. It seems like we’re as divided here as elsewhere on the Web.

I have a 5th get air 2 and love it. Just make sure your corrugated is long enough to comfortably stay in your mouth with full head movement. Also, a longer primary hose that you can donate when needed. 40"+ or it won't be long enough to comfortably share air. Dive your gear and let the neigh-sayers dive theirs.

Real world is controlling the bouyancy of yourself and a panicked OOA person using the same device your breathing from.

There is one piece of actual dive gear made that is dangerous for its intended purpose. That is the air intragrated inflator. But your an adult do as you wish.

Back
Top Bottom