Using a wing set-up for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to dive with Dive Rite tranplate harness, same as transpasc's harness portion. The 8 d-rings distribute like this: 4 chest d-ring (2 on each side), 2 hip d-ring (1 on each side), 2 crotch strap d-ring (front, back). What really bother me about this harness is the double chest d-ring on each side. They are more for the look than actually useful. The hip d-ring on right side is not bad unless you use a canister light.

I can't even imagine what I would use 8 D-rings for. I have loops in my pockets to clip the contents to, and other than that, the three D-rings I have have always seemed to be more than enough.

Not that I feel the need to justify anything about the way I dive, but in this case....

4 x shoulder D-rings (as fitted by the manufacturer)

Top Left Camera (also thread my LPI hose through it to prevent the inflator floating away if the velcro comes undone on entry.
Bottom left - Clip for 40cf pony
Top right - has line cutter cable tied to it above that a strobe
Bottom right - Clip off for Deco gas (s)

Left hip rear SPG (back up to AI), left hip front clip off for SMB stored in pocket - pocket held in place on waist band by these two d-rings
Right hip - spare for scallop/swag bag, right hip front clip off for the 2 torches and reef hook stored in right pocket both these Rings keep pocket in place

Rear butt plate has big rings to clip off stages

Rear D-ring - 10' smb - emergency surface use and lift bag
Front crotch strap D-ring Scooter ? reef hook when deployed, Diver surface safety line (john line?)

Before you all start chuckling consider where we dive..

Off shore in the gulf of Oman - Shore contact by Satellite phone only, coast guard assistance - limited - although getting better as they are out chasing the pirates and smugglers - and yes both side have guns
Strong currents (both surface as well as up and down currents) can and do sweep people off reefs if you're hidden by an island you can be quite distant from the boat cover (hence big SMB, high pitched whistle strobes etc)

Last pair bring up boat anchor (on some dives) hence lift bag

Stuff in pockets clipped off - if you open pocket you lose nothing. My pockets don't have internal clips

Have no pockets in wetsuit! Don't use dry suit pockets as my gear placement remains the same year round

On back plate spare SMB and Yellow "distress" SMB and a couple of cylumes bungeed into place.

Some of this would be overkill for most dives - again we dive far away from civilisation (tonight we're off again and it'll be a 6- 7 hr boat ride for tomorrow mornings dive site (if you get blown off from there, then the next land fall is Iran)

Will some people look at my high kit and shake their heads in disbelief? Possibly, and that's fine. We will no doubt dive in different locations and in different circumstances anyhow.

There are no DM's and guides here and while it's challenging diving it's also one of the best places to dive having been untouched, with no commercial fishing. It's so far off the beaten track you may see one other dive boat every couple of months or so and it's even rarer to be on the same site.

If experienced divers want to visit feel free to pm me...

Oh and on re- count it's 12 D-rings :)

Last edited:
I ditched my Mares BC within six months of purchasing it and went to a DiveRite BP/W setup like was suggested to me from the get-go by friends who had been diving for a few years. I should've listened to them, it is much easier to use and lighter to carry. Even with twin HP100 steels on my back and a steel backplate, as soon as I get in the water I completely forget the stuff is there. It's like wearing a medium weight backpack, and it will NOT move once you get the straps adjusted to your particular body.

Now all of my diving is done in doubles with a long hose and the only place I see myself going from there is maybe sidemount. Only hesitation I have is purely based on money reasons, I don't have another grand or two to get new regs and a harness.

You buy a single-tank wing for single tank diving and a doubles wing for doubles. For single tank I have a 30# wing. For doubles I have 40#, 50#, and 65# wings.

The backplate and harness remain the same.

thanks...that was actually going to be my next question. From everything I have read it looks like 30lbs or so lift is what I will need. I am mainly a cold water diver so routinely wear 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. Currently I need 24# of weights to get me down with my traditional BC. I "may" be on the heavier side but really close to what I need. I tried taking 2 pounds off my last dive last summer and became very floaty in shallow water near the end of the dive.

Bigeclipse, you are where I was a few months ago. I started with a ScubaPro Nighthawk BCD loaded with 24# of lead when diving a 7mm wetsuit with hood and gloves. I had a SS BP and bought the Hogarthian harness, STA, and a 35# wing from DGX. Because I was more streamlined with the BPW I was able to drop 2# of weight. I figured I had 6 (SS) + 2 (STA) + 2 (tank bands) for 10# so I needed only 22 - 10 or 12# of lead. I put 6# in each tank band weight pocket and found the weight to be good; I was able to hold a 10 ft. stop. My trim was a little head up so I added one ankle weight (1.2#) around the tank neck.

For the wing I reasoned it had to offset the weight of all equipment under the worst possible scenario. This is 0# of buoyancy from the wetsuit + 22# of weight + 10# full tank weight (steel 100) for a total of 32#'s. I normally dive an AL80 but wanted a wing that could handle a heavier tank. So I went with the 35# wing.

Last edited:
Meh. I love my bp/w. Buuuut... I ended up switching to sidemount when I finally started tech (cave). Your BP/W is only going to work for tech if you stick with back-mount doubles and have bought a doubles wing. I made my best effort at doing what you're trying to do. The only thing I haven't replaced is my regulators and a lavacore. The lavacore makes a nice drysuit undergarment in 72f spring water.

Still, get a bp/w. They're great for all the other reasons that have already been pounded into the dirt in this very thread.

I was wondering a couple questions, do any of you simply use your ... wings for recreational dives OR ... you still use your regular BCs when doing recreational dives?

Bigeclipse,

I only do rec dives these days. Take a look at my equipment list. I use my Scubapro Classic BC sometimes, and my Halcyon Pioneer singles wing (on a SS Freedom Plate, not a "backplate") other times. I enjoy them both.

I love diving my little (20" tall) PST HP 80's as singles on my Scubapro BC. Terrific kit! A comfortable and tiny package. (Packs small, and wears small.) Trim isn't an issue. (Trims out quite nicely. Any way I wish to orient/position myself, this package is happy to oblige.) There's no cummerbund nor padding, so the Scubapro doesn't require extra weight to sink. Practically indestructible and easily repaired. I love this package for moderate to shallow dives. Tons of air available, yet I never have to put very much air in the BC. The cut of this BC perfectly accommodates a weight belt. I purchased this BC new in 1994 or so, to replace my first BC, an Orange Scubapro BC which I purchased new in 1987. (When I began diving dry, I needed a larger size to accommodate my drysuit, so I made the new purchase.)

My only criticisms: (1) I can't easily reach my tank valve when wearing the Scubapro Stab Jacket. (The plastic backpack is just too low. Perfect for center-of-buoyancy with this small tank, but not for reaching my valve.) (2) The Scubapro Stab Jacket doesn't easily allow me to *sling* a pony/bailout bottle (nor a canister light, though I no longer use a canister light). (3) The Scubapro BC uses only a single cam band. (For dives deeper than moderate depth I prefer to use two cam bands.) And (4) The Scubapro doesn't wear a long tank well (since the plastic backpack is located so low).

I love diving my Pioneer wing + Freedom Plate when I wear longer tanks, and when I'm diving solo to deeper depths that require (for me) a pony/bailout bottle.

Hope this different perspective helps.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

The Backplate + Wing config is superior in many ways. It is completely modular allowing you to simply change wings for using single cylinders or doubles. You can even use two wings for redundancy if required. I like the comfort and easy familiarisation with my equipment switching between sport and tech diving using my plate with all the rings and things exactly were they belong.
The plate and wing system is based on a very minimalistic methodology and will be more streamlined and secure in the water. It is also extremely durable. I would definitely recommend a nice single-tank adaptor. It will round everything off nicely.
Legend regulators are very good and DIN is a very obvious choice. You should be able to easily add gear as you move along your technical diving journey.
The hardest choice you are currently faced with is if you want a Hogarthian single continues webbing config or a more modern harness kit.
You should buy an 18 to 35 pound wing for single tank configs. depending on your own and cylinder size. You will then buy your second wing as a 45 pound or larger for twinset diving when you start doing Adv Nitrox or similar deco courses.

Tobin, isn't that a bit too broad? One of the things the wing needs to do is float your gear on the surface. Somebody using a full HP130 has several pounds more gas than someone in an Al80, and the tank is more negative, as well. So that person is going to need more lift to float his gear, no?

Back
Top Bottom