Using a pole with a GoPro HD2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to the Big Island in Hawaii in a couple of weeks and want to use my GoPro HD2 on a few dives. I have the dive housing for it and want to get something other than the wrist strap or the head strap to control the camera. I'd like to be able to better control what I'm shooting video of. One of the dives I know I will be making is the Manta Ray dive. I'm thinking of getting a pole like one of these:

Amazon.com: gopro pole

1. Can anyone recommend a specific model?
2. Can anyone recommend something other than a pole?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I use a tray and video light. Think I got them from Backscatter.

Using a Gopro on a pole works really well. It will allow you to get closer to sealife. You will get a little bit of shake but nothing too bad. Try having the camera so it's hung under the end of the pole. There's a setting on the camera for upside down shooting. Make sure you get a pole that handles sea water. The first one I used looked fine from the outside but had steel clips on the inside that only lasted a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I made a pole out of a section of leftover PVC conduit and a spare stainless bolt/nut with one of the extra mount adapter pieces that came with the camera. works great!

I am on Maui and my kid had me bbuy the gopro pole for diving.
Works well. Cost 35$ here and is arms length and is not collapsable.
They also sell a shorter one, about a foot long.
It does not float so make sure you tighten the wrist strap especially if you are at Molokini.
Great for appraoching turtles, eels and looking under crevacies.
Without the handle make sure you get the floatation device incase you do something stupid like wearing it on you headlike my kid did.
He lost it during a dive and never found it. two days later a kid at the pool asks my kid if he lost his go pro.
Turns out the kid found it and downloaded the footage, saw my kid then found him at the pool. Miricles do happen.Sometimes the sea taketh and sometimes the sea giveth back.
Anyway the pole is a great idea.
RT

---------- Post added July 29th, 2013 at 04:07 PM ----------

But if you are handy the PVC idea is great.
Can't believe they get $35 for these things.
RT

If you really want a pole get something rigid like the UK Propole. The telescoping monopod things are useless, mine lasted about 3 dives in seawater. You will get the steadiest footage holding it on a tray with 2 handles though.

I'm going to the Big Island in Hawaii in a couple of weeks and want to use my GoPro HD2 on a few dives. I have the dive housing for it and want to get something other than the wrist strap or the head strap to control the camera. I'd like to be able to better control what I'm shooting video of. One of the dives I know I will be making is the Manta Ray dive. I'm thinking of getting a pole like one of these:

Amazon.com: gopro pole

1. Can anyone recommend a specific model?
2. Can anyone recommend something other than a pole?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I use this one and I like it!

DSLR POV | Quik Pod Monopod & Tripod

Well, I tried my GoPole this past Sunday. The pole is sturdy but I can't comment on its reliability yet. Extending the pole is useful sometimes but I found myself keeping it short most of the time. Keeping a steady shot with the pole is not easy and letting the camera tilt sideways, off level is an even bigger problem. You have to pay close attention to keeping the camera straight up or your shots will be framed sideways. I can see the advantage of a platform. I'll probably get one myself in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom