Using a long hose primary while teaching OW??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the context of the OW course you have to wear what the students are wearing. I'm not sure that rule is carved in stone in the standards but your job as an instructor is to assist your students in becoming familiar with THEIR gear... not yours!

If every gear related demo you do is then followed up by having to explain that the can't do it the way you do it then you're not teaching them, you're just being stubborn and putting them at a disadvan...

I wouldn't try to demo in different gear... that isn't a demo.
You are right about the standard. It isn't carved in stone so I called PADI before I did it. They have no problem with any gear configuration as long as it is safe.

For the CW I wore the same as they wore so demos weren't an issue. In OW I wore a long hose because it is popular in my area and I wanted them to be familiar with it. Other than a few minutes to explain what I was wearing and why, it was a non issue.

Demos were not an issue because I don't do those on OW dives.

As long as someone (DM) has the same gear to demo it would have also met standards in the pool. Also, having everyone in long hose from the beginning was an option but I'm not trying to change the world, just introduce students to something they may see.

to eliminate confusion there are only two possibilities regardless of hose length.

- donate the primary
- donate the secondary

Maybe we should focus on that.

R..
Based on this I am going to change my mind on my previous post.
I Think this could be demoed and taught with anyone wearing any combination of gear configurations and now I think it should be because that reflects reality.
The only requirement is that each diver have 2 working 2nd stage regulators.
Again, PADI didn't have a problem with it. I chose on my own to be in the same gear in the pool but what if someone had an air2? I know new students learn in those.

You are right about the standard. It isn't carved in stone so I called PADI before I did it. They have no problem with any gear configuration as long as it is safe.

For the CW I wore the same as they wore so demos weren't an issue. In OW I wore a long hose because it is popular in my area and I wanted them to be familiar with it. Other than a few minutes to explain what I was wearing and why, it was a non issue.

Demos were not an issue because I don't do those on OW dives.

As long as someone (DM) has the same gear to demo it would have also met standards in the pool. Also, having everyone in long hose from the beginning was an option but I'm not trying to change the world, just introduce students to something they may see.

Seems reasonable.

@Birddog1911

I think the answers above about standards given by people far more experienced than me have answered your question

As someone also starting IDC (tomorrow 11th Aug) I thought hard about my gear. My normal dive gear is a wing with a "non standard" hose configuration.

I could of course make it standard from my spares box, however decided to purchase a BCD and reg set soley for pool use and maybe Open water dives 1-4. Mainly so I am the same as student, also becuase I don't wnat my normal gear exposed to chlorine. I got an Axiom and Apex XTX 50 new for $700. Less thane the cost on one of my normal regs.

For Con Ed I can use my wing, and indeed while DM'ing Rescue courses use my BCD in th ePool then two different wings in the ocean (one with Hog rig, the other a comfort harness) so they could practice on different configs.

Also for IE I wanted similar setups to eveyone else, I don't want the possibility of losig nmarks on something because someone isn't familiar with my gear.

Good luck on IDC.

You got a different Training "expert" than I did when I called about the same question. At my call, PADI stated I needed to teach in gear like the books taught. Short primary, longer alternate, donate either for training purposes. They were emphatic that other configurations (excepting e.g., Air II) were not acceptable during Confined Water training. I've only deviated from that in wearing a rig with BOTH an Air II and an alternate second stage in the pool for demonstration of what students may come across with their buddy. Long hoses were specifically noted as not acceptable for the pool. Other posts above suggests reasons why they may not be a good choice, but the bottom line is that the Instructor is expected to parrot the textbook/video configurations barring a specific local requirement for something else.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, bc I dive on a single tank with a 5' hose when I'm out with my friends, and plan to donate my primary. My rationale is keeping the panicked diver (not my buddy), who wanted MY regulator, at arm's length. Plus it hangs nicely under my arm on a 110 degree connector and makes head motion less tethered. But it was made clear to me that that's not acceptable for CW training from PADI's standpoint. What students show up with for AOW is another matter. I think you can wear what you want for that.

Can't explain the disparity with what @MasterBlaster was told.

You got a different Training "expert" than I did when I called about the same question....
Can't explain the disparity with what @MasterBlaster was told.

I have often wondered if email would be a better choice than calling just for documentation purposes. If you got a different answer then I did then maybe they aren't all on the same page like I thought they were. Maybe she didn't understand my question.
I guess we need a tie breaker and probably need to move deeper discussion to another forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom