Using a Drysuit for Buoyancy Control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for me

I think it's easier for new divers to use the BC for buoyancy control, nothing screws you up more than having a huge bubble of air go to your feet.

A quick somersault solves that problem in a couple of seconds. I was taught how to do this when I did my OW. For those of us who actually need the thermal protection provided by the gas in the suit, I very much prefer using my drysuit for buoyancy control. As others in this thread have noted - if you're properly weighed you will find that when you inflate your suit to relieve the squeeze you have gained pretty much optimal buoyancy at the same time.

And as for diving with a squeezed suit? You're not diving in cold waters if you propose that.

I do understand and respect TS&M's comments on cave diving with a squeezed suit but that's not my kind of diving.

Back from the dead, I see. :popcorn:

A quick somersault solves that problem in a couple of seconds. I was taught how to do this when I did my OW. For those of us who actually need the thermal protection provided by the gas in the suit, I very much prefer using my drysuit for buoyancy control. As others in this thread have noted - if you're properly weighed you will find that when you inflate your suit to relieve the squeeze you have gained pretty much optimal buoyancy at the same time.

And as for diving with a squeezed suit? You're not diving in cold waters if you propose that.

I do understand and respect TS&M's comments on cave diving with a squeezed suit but that's not my kind of diving.

that's a maneuver I wouldn't recommend in many situations. Lots of current, a night dive, low viz dive in current, in wreck, in a cave, **** the list could go on and on.

I would have to agree with Randy. About the only time I would pop a somersault wearing twin 108's and carrying a minimum of 2 stages would be in perfect conditions. Realistically, I wouldn't even do it in other than perfect conditions just wearing a single AL 80. :wink: One trick I personally use for keeping the air out of my feet is putting a medium tight bungee around my knee. I haven't gotten air in my feet since and it's not really uncomfortable. It's like wearing socks: after about 10 minutes, you don't notice you're wearing them. And I haven't gotten tangled in any wrecks yet...knock on wood.

I was taught by a PADI guy who said to ignore PADI and use my BC for buoyancy control for the most part if even needed at all. All that said, I find I rarely have to even touch my BC during the dive and just need to add a little air to my dry suit to BOTH reduce squeeze AND to maintain buoyancy control. I find this to be the case most of the time while diving a balanced kit, shell suit, single tank, and at recreational depths. So for me, this argument is mostly a moot point.

i had a friend that used those tank bangers that are like little girl's hair ties - you know, a loop of elastic with a big bead - around his leg under the knee instead of gaiters. seemed to work.

Read the DUI drysuit manual on line. I read the complete DUI dry suit manual www.dui-online.com/pdf/drysuitmanual.pdf and says that you should have minimum air in your dry suit. They say when the bubble is larger than half the length of the forearm (right arm raised above head to concentrate bubble and measure size) the bubble is too big. It is best to keep the bubble small and, if it starts to grow, vent the excess volume off and add air to the BCD to attain neutral buoyancy.

i have tried it both ways and prefer using the bc for bc and the suit for squeeze control. being new to dry suits i went to a couple of dui demo's . if you havent beeen tto one you need to do one. the suit is quite a piece of hardware and works differently on everyone. the first guy i went out with was a bc man. dive was great the second ws a suit man dive sucked went to the surface feet first. it made me glad i bought a custom suit. with little more than trying different undergarments it made free air space differences in the suit. the garments is not just a warmth issue. with the right garment for me (polartec) and using the bc for bc i could do loop de loops and not have moving bouyancy problems.

for me decending was easy i have my vent open on min preasure. i go down at perhaps a 30-45 deegree up angle. with snug lower leg space and the wing harnes snug air does not move very fast top to feet. using the bc as a bc keeps me using the same skills that i use with a wet suit. going up i use the bc the suit auto vents and remains bouyancy constant. there is no task overoad for me unless i use the suit as a bc. 10 percent of the dive is decending and assending. 5doqwn and 5 up. the only additional tasking is reliefving the suit squeeze on decent.
it seams that those who think that using the bc is task overloaading should abandon any idea of having a pee-valve. for me there is more task loading with a 7-9 mil wetsuit than there is a drysuit.

btw if the suit does not fit right or you have a significant size change / garment change the whole game changes and you have to relearn you suit and find best methods again.

oikk i am against the wall fire away

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom