Using a console computer on the wrist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone help me with some creative ideas on how I can rig up something to hold my computer on my wrist?

My computer is a console mount - like a hockey puck with no notches or grooves of any kind to attach bungie or a strap. Any suggestions?

Thanks
SS

Might make a difference...

I presume that you might be talking about a computer that isn't also sold as a wrist mount, since manufacturers of these generally have (in my limited experience) a wrist mount you can buy that is made for the comp.

I'm thinking of Suunto vyper, for example...

No, this is an older Sherwood computer - its more a bottom timer than anything, and I bought it in a console already.....

SS

Just buy one of the rubber wrist boots that they sell for hockey puck-style computers. LP sells them for around $15.00. As far as a DIY project, I can't imagine a really good way to rig up something to hold it to your wrist. You could epoxy some small metal tubes to the bottom/side of the computer and then run bungie through them, but this might make changing batteries difficult, and might fall off if it took a good whack. Let us know what you come up with if you DIY it....

PurduEE - Thats what I was trying to think of with the tubes, but would make battery change a PITA. I've been trying to figure something with o-rings, but I guess I'm not that creative. I'll probably buy a boot - easiest solution, but my LDS doesn't have them and I was wanting to dive with it this weekend. Oh well, I guess I'll just carry in my pocket.

Any other ideas?

SS

I was thinking about this last night. If you could cut some bic pen tubes down to size and epoxy them to either side of the computer, that might work. If you could figure out a way to heat and bend them, it would be easier to attach them. I use the toaster oven (when the wife isn't looking) or a hair dryer for melting, bending, etc.. Mine has a notch all around the bottom, which would give you a lot of surface area to glue onto. At least on my oceanic, this doesn't block the battery cover either.

On my computer, the base is wider than the top. If yours is like that, you could get a wrist slate and cut a hole larger (arbor) than the top, but smaller than the base and wedge the computer in it. Then you'd have a computer/slate thing for your wrist. You could shove an o-ring over the top and use the wider base and the o-ring to keep it in place, sandwiching the slate between the base and the o-ring...

For a one time use thing, you could go the ghetto route and make yourself a mount from clear shelf paper or packing tape.... :)

Good luck... - BTW, I take no resposibility for the loss of any computers... :)

PurduEE - I was with you all thru the bic pen thing, the slate made a little sense, and the duct tape made me laugh.... but I had thought of the last two already (duct tape can fix ANYTHING)

I was checking out the boots on LP already this morning, and I'll probably just go that route. I am kinda curious about the pen thing.....

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom