Using a compass for shore diving in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all for the advice. As a beginner, it sounds like I should use a compass. But Maybe I'm over thinking all of it.

When I did my training, the compass was a part of the guages. Is this standard in Bonaire on their rental equipment?

I definitely need to learn how to use the compass again and brush up on those skills.

Just wondering if all of these skill will be refreshed with me if I hire a guide? Such as the navigation and planning the dive time and depth?

Unfortunately IME, compasses tend to be an afterthought on rental equipment everywhere (not sure specifically about Bonaire). I prefer having it on the wrist anyway so that it's easy to reference. Consider getting a wrist compass and bringing your own.

I think the southern sites in Bonaire are a perfect place to practice your compass capabilities. Don't worry too much about if you don't have them yet. Since you are in charge of your diving schedule and tanks in Bonaire, you can practice as much as you like without inconveniencing anyone elses schedule. As others have noted, missing your return only means someone has to do the "walk of shame" to get the truck, but we make a game out of it, and always seem to return right where we started. Great practice for a later date if you ever take a rescue course and need to use a compass to help find a missing diver.

Thanks to all for the advice. As a beginner, it sounds like I should use a compass. But Maybe I'm over thinking all of it.

When I did my training, the compass was a part of the guages. Is this standard in Bonaire on their rental equipment?

I definitely need to learn how to use the compass again and brush up on those skills.

Just wondering if all of these skill will be refreshed with me if I hire a guide? Such as the navigation and planning the dive time and depth?

:idk:
A guide may not be an instructor and if hired as a "guide" not responsible to teach you navigation.
Rather than hire a guide, hire an instructor and take an advance course that will include a navigation dive where you learn how to measure out distances,different patterns to be done with compass, along with air consumed during the navigation portion of the course.You will also get experience with the instructor on a deep dive along with 3 other electives..OR take the adventure dive navigation, OR a navigation speciality course.At Buddy dive a compass is NOT on a console.Compass is available for rent @ Buddy dive though.I would suggest to either get your own gear or at the very least take a compass with you on the trip if you feel you need one there.

I believe Bas Noij is both. A great guide and he is an instructor. I would highly recommend him. I am sure he can give you what ever navigation training you desire.

Buy a wrist compass and practice with it while you are there. Some of the southern sites have a long swim over sand and it is easy to stray if you are not paying attention. Also, if you head out to the second reef you could find yourself turned around.

Ask your equipment rental provider if they have compasses available on the consoles they rent.

Here's a quick tutorial on compass use:

How to Use an Underwater Compass - wikiHow

If you swim out to a mooring buoy, dive, then return underwater to shore, you will want to take a compass bearing back to shore from the mooring buoy. If you want to swim out to the mooring buoy underwater, you will need to use a compass bearing to get to it. It's always a good idea to orient yourself at any dive site with a compass.

On Bonaire the reefs generally parallel the shore. Also the ripples in the sand usually parallel the shore. Since you are on an island, if the water is getting deeper, you are heading away from shore. Some of the southern, double reef systems, are sufficiently separated that if vis becomes poor, you could find yourself over the outer reef, but not in sight of the inner reef (nearshore). You may have a deep channel to cross that may look like it's dropping off even deeper. This is why you should orient yourself with a compass as you start your dive.

At night I orient myself with my compass. If I dive away from any of the house reefs, I will place a light, underwater, at my entry/exit point. This is especially helpful if you are returning to a narrow channel through the reef, say at Andrea II, on a dark shore. I compass until I see my light, then exit.

Are you going with a group, an organized tour or with experienced friends?

Another less expensive option is to get an inexpensive hand held land compass. As long as they are liquid filled they will work fine. While I don't recommend them as permanent dive gear, they will do for a week on Bonaire.

Pay for my airfare and I will bring an extra compass, be your dive guide, instruct you in Bonaire navigation.....shoot I will carry your tanks too. :)

I always use a compass. For Bonaire its more of a matter of convenience in that we end up close to our entry point on the way back. If you are new to diving Bonaire isn't a bad place to practice your navigation skills (as opposed to the north east where viz is 5 feet on good days). Certain sites have some current and there is a double reef which could confuse an inexperienced diver just relying on landmark navigation.

gert7to3,
Thanks for the tutorial and the advice. It's just going to take practice until I get good at at. I kind of forgot how to use the compass, but I know it's not hard to do.
If/when I go I will go with an experienced guide. I'm hoping they will be able to help me brush up on the skills until I'm good on my own.

Thank you to everyone who posted advice. It's all very helpful.

I agree that a compass is not really necessary on Bonaire. But, there are times when it can and will come in handy and there is no better place for a new diver to practice compass navigation than BON. It's that forgiving when you make a mistake. Perfect time to get some experience. MHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom