using a BC for SSA commercial work

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright now take a look at this just found on Divex and when to the companys web site. This is a BC designate for commercial diving. A.P.Valves

Got to love the brits they do the craziest things

Akimbo ya your right, SSA is just a term us young little sh$Ts use there are some companys that are using scuba for inspection work out there.

Akimbo ya your right, SSA is just a term us young little sh$Ts use there are some companys that are using scuba for inspection work out there.

What happened to simple air dives and Scuba? Naturally Scuba in the commercial context is air and any dive that is not on Scuba is surface supplied.

Anyway: In that case a 40-60 Lb wing can save time on a few shallow air jobs. Attaching bolt-on anodes to a hull is one. Moving large hydraulic impact wrenches mid-water under platforms/piers or rigging multiple come-alongs is another. Sometimes the job itself is quick and mobile enough that it takes more time to rig and recover hog lines and tugger blocks than it saves.

It sort of depends on local technique. Divers taught by cold water heavy gear and drysuit divers get used to inflating their suits for carrying heavy crap. Warmer water divers tend to rig anything heavier than they can swim. It is still hard to beat heavy gear for running a jack hammer in cold contaminated harbors. The suit is a BC.

I have noticed that some guys won't wear fins no matter how useful they might be on some jobs while others can walk in fins as easy as in Wellies (Wellington rubber boots for non-Brits). It seems like the French like fins, Brits prefer boots, and Norwegians don't care — but that is such a broad generalization it probably doesn't mean squat.

I don't see diver-mounted wings much because of potential malfunctions on decom profiles and the hassle setting up. Filling a lift bag with your pneumo works, but is not as fast to fine-tune for shallow off-bottom work.

Rigging a wing to a bail-out harness is a no-brainer. Just tee in before the check valve for the BC hose. I can't remember who makes them but ¼" NPT to 3/16" straight thread ports are available — CPV maybe??? There are only a few wings that are rugged enough for commercial though — I can think of two.

They were pulling gas off their bail-out instead of the hose? What kind of work were they doing?
I'd never pull gas off my bail-out to inflate something ... that's what my hose is for.

Well ... almost. That all changes, of course, once one switches to bail-out.

The times keep on changing don't they? Do they have these in hot pink for the girls? :wink:

Ya looked like the guy hooked the BC right off the 30cf bailout bottle reg. Nothing coming from the side block. The max depth in the harbor was only about 35ft. Not to sure what they were doing but it looked like some piling inspection work I think did not get a good look as I was packing up to go home. I still would prefer hog lines at least I have something to get leverage off of. I never worked in heavy gear but I see your point with the jack hammering at least i would take such a beating. I would figure if you are doing inwater decom you would still have to have a platform or at the least a down line even if you got a BC on.

The times keep on changing don't they? Do they have these in hot pink for the girls? :wink:

Your comment is true in so many ways. I finished a five year home building project in 2009. This really big no-neck guy on the concrete crew spray painted all his tools bright pink. It turns out that NOBODY would even borrow, let alone steal, them.
:idk:

:rofl3: That's really funny...

Don't get me wrong, I've had some women who've worked in my team that were tougher than some of the guys. They just wouldn't quit. Size and strength sometimes are two different things... I'm sure it could make Sat time more interesting... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom