Using 7mm hard sole booties for hiking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be going to Dominica at the end of January and bring my own gear.

As my 2 check-in luggage space is already close to the "limit" I was wondering about the following:

I plan to do some hiking in Dominica as it has a mountainous terrain. Was planning on bringing a pair of hiking boots but was wondering if I could use a new pair of Harvey's Kobalt hard soled booties for hiking. They don't have the ankle support of regular hiking boots but they are very hard-soled.

I guess sweating could be a problem with the Harvey's.

Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sy

Best way to deal with the luggage issue is to wear your heavy hiking boots on the plane and pack some light shooes/sandals in your bag.

Forget it! You cannot hike with neoprene boots.

I have a pair of something like CANYONEER 2 you can look up in the water section of Fiveten website. They are so-called "eco-challenge" shoes, good for hiking and water. Well, they aren't really good for hiking. And common booties? And in the mountains? You might develop a serious podiatric/dermatological problem.

This is what I wear , My scubapro twin jet split fins fit very nice on them too. I even wear wool socks under them sometimes
NRS Workboot Wetshoe
Used by river professionals, rescue agencies and Navy SEALS, the NRS Workboot Wetshoe is the hardest-working river boot on the market today.
Item# 2338 $70.00 http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2338&deptid=1169

NRS Workboot Wetshoe

this is the web site I don't know how to link it

Again, your NRS Workboot Wetshoe is no good for hiking.

OP,
just get a pair of cheap light sneakers!

Ive done three miles cross country carrying a stokes basket in them I would say thats a hike.

Your best option sounds like the one Stevead suggested. Wear your hiking boots and carry lighter shoes in luggage.

That way you are not paying for something extra. Use what you have and you know your boots work for you now use them to prevent any major blisters from new boots or dive boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom