USIA Superstretch vs DUI Powerstretch fleece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have firsthand experience with both of these? I've seen and tried on the DUI powerstretch fleece undergarment, and on paper the USIA Superstretch seems identical (double layer 4-way stretch fleece). The price is much nicer on the USIA garment, so I'm wondering if there's any significant differenence between the two (thickness, quality of build, etc) that would warrant the >$100 difference in price?

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe they are made of the same fabric. They are fast becoming our top selling item. A lot of our dealers are selling our undergarments with other suits, especially neoprene suits.

Jerry,
What is the temp. rating for the suit. I'm getting a little chilled in my USIA Exotherm II and was wanting to possibly layer one of these under it.

Jeremy

It really depends. But I wouldn't layer a Superstretch, as it is a bit warmer than an
Exotherm II. You can always go to an outdoor store and by a pair of PolyPropelene Underwear to wear underneath. Just do not layer with cotton.

I own a custom fitted USIA Superstretch and I tried a DUI Powerstretch while I was still renting a drysuit. Both seemed very warm in Monterey waters. I recently did a dive at Lobos with the temp down to 45 degrees. Felt fine with just the Superstretch and no additional layers. I'd go with the Superstretch and get a custom fit which will cut down on unnecessary bulk.

marc s.

USIA:
It really depends. But I wouldn't layer a Superstretch, as it is a bit warmer than an
Exotherm II. You can always go to an outdoor store and by a pair of PolyPropelene Underwear to wear underneath. Just do not layer with cotton.

Thanks for the information Jerry. You might want to educate some of the LDS's that sell the USIA gear. When I inquired about the superstretch I was told by the manager of my LDS that it was for warm water diving and didn't have much more thermal retention than a thin layer of poly pro's. I was then told that I should order the Exotherm III.

I think I will get them to order me one since my Exotherm II's XL-Short fits me to a tee.

Again, Thanks,
Jeremy

USIA:

Hi Jerry. Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a Superstretch from my LDS on Friday. I'm planning to do exactly what you recommend. I've already bought a pair of Patagonia mid-weight Capilene underwear from REI to wear under the Superstretch. I tend to get cold easily, but I figure that this combo should keep even me warm in Monterey. The LDS said the medium-long Superstretch's were out of stock though, when they called to place the order :11: I guess they really are popular. I'll report back after I've had a chance to dive them.

-John

h

JKSteger:
Thanks for the information Jerry. You might want to educate some of the LDS's that sell the USIA gear. When I inquired about the superstretch I was told by the manager of my LDS that it was for warm water diving and didn't have much more thermal retention than a thin layer of poly pro's. I was then told that I should order the Exotherm III.

I think I will get them to order me one since my Exotherm II's XL-Short fits me to a tee.

Again, Thanks,
Jeremy
Thanks for the info. We just recently started adding dealers in the Southwest and they are fast becoming a great network for us. Remember, anytime you need any information or advice on USIA suits, feel free to drop me an email or call me at 800-247-8070. I work 24-7. Drive my wife nuts, but my clients like it.

LG Diver:
Hi Jerry. Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a Superstretch from my LDS on Friday. I'm planning to do exactly what you recommend. I've already bought a pair of Patagonia mid-weight Capilene underwear from REI to wear under the Superstretch. I tend to get cold easily, but I figure that this combo should keep even me warm in Monterey. The LDS said the medium-long Superstretch's were out of stock though, when they called to place the order :11: I guess they really are popular. I'll report back after I've had a chance to dive them.

-John

h
We have been slammed since January on our undergarments. We supply a large percentage of the US Coast Guard with their Undergarments and they won't stop calling.:blinking: If you place an order, make sure you tell your LDS you met me on Scuba Board and I'll try to rush it through.

USIA:
We have been slammed since January on our undergarments. We supply a large percentage of the US Coast Guard with their Undergarments and they won't stop calling.:blinking: If you place an order, make sure you tell your LDS you met me on Scuba Board and I'll try to rush it through.

Thanks Jerry, I will do that. :lol:
I'm diving the USIA drysuit, exotherm II and all now and I know that sometimes it's worth the wait for the quality products that you guys crank out.

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom