USIA dry suits? Other MTM options in US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WyattGlynn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After fiddling with different combinations of layers and constantly being cold diving wet over the last three years, I've decided I need to bite the bullet and buy a dry suit. My preference initially was a neoprene suit, as I figured it would dive more similarly to a wetsuit, but I'm possibly having second thoughts as I get cold easily (I'm cold at the end of a 78 degree dive in a 3mm) and would like the ability to add warmth if I decide I need to, which is probably going to be harder for a neoprene suit.

My body type (tall and skinny - 165 lbs, 6'2" and a size 12 shoe) is making it incredibly hard to find anything that fits off the shelf, be it neoprene or Trilam. So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go MTM. I know a lot of people rave about Seaskin drysuits, but I'd really prefer not to have to ship a suit to the UK for any warranty work or if the measurements need to be tweaked.

USIA seems like a decent option, but I've not been able to find much in the way of reviews, be they good or bad, for their offerings. I like everything about the specs of the Pinnacle Tahoe (front entry, silicon seals available, neoprene boots), but I don't think they offer MTM for special orders, though I have an email out to them.

Any other options I should be looking at? A ton of people here locally in San Diego dive DUI, but I'm not too keen on spending $3,000+ for a MTM suit. I'd like to stay under $2,500+/- for the drysuit, if possible.

I got my DUI drysuit at a DUI garage sale event they held, I heard they had been planning another but then COVID hit. So keep an eye on their Facebook page since that’s where the first one was announced. It wasn’t a MTM suit like my seaskin but it was a TLS350 that cost less lol. That being said I still dive my MTM seaskin more.

What about the deep6 drysuit?

Not sure where they are out of but checkout frogman drysuits. All the other MTM suits I can think of are DUI expensive or abroad.

Frogman are out of Russia and the ordering seems rather sketchy.

I wanted made in the US for the same reasons as you.

I’m short and round so MTM is a must. I am extremely happy with my DUI FLX Extreme, but it was $4100. The MTM DuoTherm 300 undersuit was just under $600 in a package that included a stock size vest and socks.

usia is ok. they just haven't really kept up with other brands by either offering competitive quality with the high end ones (eg santi/ursuit) or offering amazing value with a rock bottom price (seaskin)

I know 2 people with USIA MTM suits. Both say the sizing wasn't right...... I paid for the DUI

Another recommendation for DUI here. The one in my avatar is a custom CLX 450. Outstanding suit and has held up great doing public service work and tech diving. Don’t worry about body type, they can make anything. Guys at the dive shop were laughing at me because DUI called the shop as they thought the measurements had been been taken incorrectly. I had a 36” waist and a 56” chest on the order (too much time in the gym) and they had no problem making it. As noted, they can get a bit pricey when you go custom. You may not even need to as “tall skinny” is not that uncommon. Don’t forget, your undergarment can also set you back upwards of 600 dollars depending on what you select.

I have MTM USIA drysuit and am very happy with it They don't charge extra if of the invidual measurement are the "stock" size and the workmanship is first rate. Contact Jim lampenta @jimlap212@comcast.net if you're interested. He may get you a neal on a HOG branded USIA suit

Thought I would chime in here as I have a USIA techniflex MTM. The suit is excellent quality and I think it is a great price point. 2 issues with the suit in my opinion:

1: I got it standard cut (vs cave cut) since I am diving cold water and wear thick undergarments. This is great from the torso to the legs but the arms are huge in diameter. They have way too much room for my arms and thus have a lot of folds underwater, one of which tends to be right where the dump valve is and thus interferes with me dumping air sometimes. This may be mitigated by getting it cave cut but the torso and legs might be too small then for large undergarments.

2: The attached boots are too big around the foot for their length and hold way too much air. Would suggest going with socks and rock boots. I am considering having mine cut off and replaced with socks for this reason.

PM me if you have any other questions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom