Question User reviews on Scubapro Super Nova Seawing fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read through this whole thread, lots of great information, but I have a few questions & comments.

The separation aspect looks like a direct copycat of Tusa's Hyflex Switch / Switch Pro fins. Not that that's bad, but worth remembering they weren't first. I found the Switch far too soft for my liking, and haven't had a chance to try the stiffer Switch Pro fins.

I found the Seawing Nova fins also too soft for my liking, but the Nova Gorillas have really hit a sweet spot for me. Like them more than my Mares Avanti Quatro+ fins (lighter too).

What I am really curious about is: how do the Supernovas compare to the Nova Gorillas?

Will there be / is there a Gorilla/stiffer version of the Supernovas?
The concept of the separation is similar but I think the SP system is cleaner and can be used with a small screwdriver if you don’t have the tool handy, probably more evolutionary than revolutionary.

performance is more like the gorilla than the regular nova but more stability in the blade action, so far I’ve only used them in cold heavy drysuit waters and they did very well, I will be using them a lot to see if they break.

The Tusas just require a basic allen key; same as my 1st stage reg plugs, I think. Or close to it. Either way, screwdriver vs allen key isn't a big difference :)
EDIT: cheers on the gorilla comparison. Interesting about their performance with your heavy drag/water resistance. I definitely would not want anything softer than the gorillas for that style of fin; meanwhile, I find the Apex RK3 fins the limit for stiffness I like (which I know some tec divers find too soft)

A useless fun thing about the supernova is being able to add some individual touches like the sieg color, I use orange accents on my stuff but SP isn’t always cooperative.
E13B93C4-0198-4495-A4D9-1A3766734101.jpeg

I believe the orange skews are available, at least I’ve seen them offered at the GiDive site but I can’t order SP from them :( (if anyone who can order them for me please let me know) I had already put the yellow ones on my fins so yesterday I painted a pair just because Monterey is been to sporty to dive lately and I do weird stuff sometimes when I can’t dive.

I think the orange looks much better against the black fin, what to ya’ll think.

I think the orange looks much better against the black fin, what to ya’ll think.
You have far too much time on your hands, Oh, and yes, orange.

I do have to much time on my hands, to make things worse it’s starting to snow.
I glued some SOLAS tape to my (regular) SeaWing novas. It's definitely not quite as pretty.

What glue did you use?
Loctite Super Glue Liquid Professional, 0.7 oz, Bottle, Pack of 4

The SOLAS tape I have is sticky, but I don't trust the glue to stick. So, I use a very tiny bit of this at the edges, or corners. I do the same with "diving-labels" - little stickers that have my contact information that I place on diving gear.

The SOLAS tape used is "Orafol FD1404 SOLAS Flexible Reflective Tape Safety of Life at Sea." This stuff is HIGHLY reflective, reflecting directly back towards the light-source.

To apply the glue, I cut the end off of a q-tip. Put the super-glue on a piece of paper. Then use the cut-q-tip end to gently apply it directly.

No flash.

20230226_161601.jpg

With Camera Flash

20230226_161629.jpg

Using a TINY light on dim setting, next to the camera lens (about 50lm)

20230226_161710.jpg

Not the cleanest glue-job, I could have used less glue. Just the corners or ends would have been fine.

20230226_162305.jpg

edit: Reading comprehension, please ignore.

I have them (Seawing Nova) and really like them. They have very good flutter-kick propulsion. Although I do have trouble making them do a good frog-kick or reverse-kick. I haven't tried the Gorilla version yet, which may do those kicks better.

A minor gripe is that the full-foot fin is half the price of the boot/scuba version. You can certainly use the full-foot for SCUBA, although I do really prefer diving with dive-boots.

The Sea Wing Nova full foot fins are my favorite fin so far. Dump your rig and go snokeling with them. They scream when we're streamlined like that. Great warm water fin.

I tried the Nova Gorrilas. They crushed the top of my foot. The harder I finned the more they crushed it. Sold them.

Bought a used set of F1's. Dusty, but new condition. Not like a heavy block of rubber, wears much. Just a matter of finding a matching 13 boot.

The Sea Wing Nova full foot fins are my favorite fin so far. Dump your rig and go snokeling with them. They scream when we're streamlined like that. Great warm water fin.

I tried the Nova Gorrilas. They crushed the top of my foot. The harder I finned the more they crushed it. Sold them.

Bought a used set of F1's. Dusty, but new condition. Not like a heavy block of rubber, wears much. Just a matter of finding a matching 13 boot.

You're absolutely right that these things are screamingly-fast when you don't have scuba-gear on. I do a short-stroke, high-rate flutter kick and just rocket at incredible speed.

I happened to also buy a used set of F1s about a month ago, that were "dusty but almost-new." Saw a great deal on scuba-board, $46+shipping. I haven't used them yet. What a coincidence. I haven't put the SOLAS tape on the F1s yet, I want to see how much I like them first.

Back
Top Bottom