Used Suunto Spyder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a chance to by the LDS owner's used Suunto Spyder dive watch/computer for $600.00 including the download kit. According to the shop owner, it was just recently serviced at the Suunto factory for battery change and major check-up/calibration.

Several questions:
  1. Is this a good dive computer in the general sense?
  2. Is this a good price/deal?
  3. What should I ask the shop owner to ensure it's as good of a deal as it appears?

Thanks in advance!!!

Survey says, Not. Since the Stinger came out the price of the Spyder has dropped a lot. Especially if it is the plain jane version. I picked mine up new last year for $299.00 and bought the download kit for $87 from Diveinn. They also had a demo unit they sold a couple of months later for $200.00. I would assume that for $600.00 it is one of the higher priced Spyders. They came with a couple of different band and face versions (gold, stainless, rubber, etc.) There is a titanium version that went for a pretty penny. For what you are being asked you can almost pick up a new stinger and it also comes with the download kit. Even the Mosquito has more functionality for a lower price than the Spyder you are looking at.

If you can pick up a used one pretty cheap, Suunto was offering to upgrade the Spyder to a Stinger for something like $250.00.

As far as computers go, I like the Spyder. I may get a wild hair to do the upgrade one of these days though.

JoelW

Thanks Joel. This one had a gold tint to the outside ring and parts of the face, so I assume it is the gold one you mentioned. But you are right, the new Stinger and Mozzy prices make this used one a little overpriced. Plus I would get some warranty time with the new purchase.

Hmmm...who was it here and Scubadiving.com's D2D who owns a Mozzy and was providing some reviews?

Same functions as the Viper/Spyder but in a composite case/strap vs. the more expensive metal ones....Was just released in June of this year. It does air/nitrox and a freedive mode. Sharp instrument.

Check out the Suunto Mosquito at:
http://www.aqualung.com/catalog/prodpage/divecomp/mosquito.htm

they also have a very nice downloadable demo file. It's really nice and shows how the unit functions...

I found it the cheapest here---$355.00 plus shipping

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/Mosquito.asp

Buff...

Please, if you have nothing constructive to contribute, please keep it to yourself.

I enjoy dealing with my LDS's, and get very good deals.

I think maybe I looked at that same Suunto Spyder. The LDS owner offered it to me for $700. I was asking about it during my OW class (if we're talking about the same computer at the same LDS). I looked into other pricing and found some of the online places had the Stinger for not much more.

LDS aren't always out to skin a person. The store I deal with the most is the one I bought the Spyder from new for $299 because they wanted to start putting the Stingers out and the Mosquito when it came out.

The only thing I would mention when buying a Spyder is to find out how long it has been sitting on the shelf at the store. I had mine for about 3 weeks when it crapped out at the start of a dive, still told time but not enough battery to go into dive mode. The store had brought in the Spyder about 2 years earlier. The life of the batteries is about 2 years. The store sent it back to have battery replaced for free and gave me a rental computer to use while it was out. In short, if the store has had the computer for a while find out how much it will cost to get a new battery.

JoelW

Zagnut...if it was sitting in Jim's watch display case, it was the same shop and same watch.

BTW; you going to join us this Friday for Corsair's concert?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom