Used Poseidon 1st + 2nd for $100? (for pony bottle)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akchan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to get a 19 cu ft pony bottle and a regulator for it. I see a used Poseidon for $100. They had a 1st, 2nd + octo that sold for $150.

This was listed a year ago for $150 but never sold. 3 weeks ago listed again for $100.

Poseidon seems to have a great reputation. I did read one post on here that said they had to get theirs rebuild almost after every dive, but it turns out it was one of the older models. Can anyone tell by just looking at it?

I wont be doing anything deep, just OW rec limits and less. Just want to use it as training for now.

I read this about issues with older ones: Love my Poseidon, but I think it's time to let it go. What's next?

also they are upstream regs so a special hose is required??
poseidon.jpg

Poseidon seems to have a great reputation. I did read one post on here that said they had to get theirs rebuild almost after every dive, but it turns out it was one of the older models. Can anyone tell by just looking at it?

I wont be doing anything deep, just OW rec limits and less. Just want to use it as training for now.

I read this about issues with older ones: Love my Poseidon, but I think it's time to let it go. What's next?

also they are upstream regs so a special hose is required??
View attachment 681609

That notion of having to frequently rebuild a Poseidon regulator "almost after every dive" is absolute crap -- whether they are new or older models; and I still have perfectly functional regulators over forty years of age, which are still doing quite well. I typically rebuild mine about every two years, dependent upon how heavily they are used and whether the IP is steady and remains within specifications.

The older regulators demanded more meticulous attention to cleanliness and detail, during rebuilds — so said one of the old guys, who first taught me to work on them. Harlow even mentions that very aspect of Poseidon gear in his 1999 Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair; and incomplete or half-assed cleaning -- leaving any detritus whatsoever within the first stage, could easily trash a seat and / or damage a piston. Some shops, to paraphrase Bette Davis, are absolute "dumps." Years ago, I once found what appeared to be a piece of a cotton swab and a fragment of an o-ring, in a first stage -- just left there.

The model that you have there is the "Odin" (now Jetstream), probably dating, from the early to mid-1990s. That first stage, a 2950, is a perfectly sound regulator, for which it is still quite simple to acquire parts. The serial number is generally the first one or two digits (31437*** dates, for example, from 1993). I overhauled a couple last month.

Your regulator already has an over-pressure valve in its hose, that spring-loaded section near the second stage (gently tug on it and you'll see a small movement between the two interlocked pieces); and should an additional OPV ever be desired (if you ever replace the hose with a generic version), one can easily be attached to a spare LP port on the first stage.

Provided that it is well-tuned, you may well prefer it to your main regulators . . .

great info, especially on the hoses!

How is the price?? seems pretty low compared to ebay?

great info, especially on the hoses!

How is the price?? seems pretty low compared to ebay?

Provided that no one has trashed the first stage, during a previous overhaul, that's a great price. You'll really want to have it serviced; so your total price will eventually more than double, for parts and labor.

Still beats the latest prices from the Swedes, by a long shot -- yikes . . .

good to know!

What about this first stage. Is that also a poseidon?

They are asking best offer for hoses and first.

239730463_10158153107342233_3057834009921982725_n.jpg

ohh nope, looks like its an oceanic, listed for $25 before

ohh nope, looks like its an oceanic, listed for $25 before
From the picture it looks more like a Conshelf to me. Out of curiosity, where is the listing?

Respectfully,

James

I want to say the second reg is an older Mares M12 without any of the plastic bits. I have one for the garage tank.

For the OP, what is your primary regulator? My suggestion when buying multiple regulators to stick with the same manufacturer so that they are easily interchangeable as well as making service easy. Nothing worst than having to take regs to different shops to get service.

my primary is Apeks FSR XTX200/ATX50. Ideally would like the same and have interchangeable parts and make things simpler. I will be doing the maintenance myself. also kinda want to try one since I dont feel like I'll run into one at this price

That's a Poseidon Jetstream with 2960 first stage. This first stages does not have an integrated OPV and will require one somewhere in the system. As configured now, that is in the hose itself but Poseidon no longer produces those hoses and if you want to change it to a different length or if/when it fails, then you will have to buy an adapter and an OPV. You can get cheap adapters and OPV's from Dive Gear Express and the OPV will take up the space of a port plug, or you can get the expensive one from Omniswivel that is integrated.

If you choose to purchase this and rebuild it, you will want to purchase not only the rebuild kits, but also a new main diaphragm, condom, and needle valve for the second stage and a new piston for the first stage. The needle and diaphragm will cause it to either bleed a few bubbles, leak water, and/or have weird breathing characteristics, and the piston for the first stage will probably be scored from use and since it's only a few dollars it is well worth replacing.
These do NOT need to be serviced any more frequently than anything else, BUT they do require some extra attention to the needle and piston when servicing and this is often overlooked. @rsingler is a great resource for these and his reg repair course is probably better than the factory one.

Back
Top Bottom