Used Oceanic VTPro as first computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDHopper

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to but my first dive computer. I was going to get a Suunto Zoop (which I used during a rental and it seemed really easy) but then I saw a used Oceanic VTPro for sale for about the same price. The seller says it's lightly used and recently serviced but of course you never know.

The issue is - this model seems so old, I can't get a sense of it. People seemed to like it 10 years ago but I don't know enough about dive computers to know it it's still worth trying today.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!

My concern would be downloading the log.

It would be hard to resist if it included a transmitter and the download kit for $200. Without those, $150 should buy you a Mares Puck or Oceanic Veo with the same feature set as the Zoop. $250 will buy you a DG03 with air integration -- though some people hate its interface.

Download kits are typically around $100, but I doubt you'll find one for a 10yo device -- nor the drivers & software that work on any recent computer.

Incidental historical note: my wife had an old VTPro, and I used (& still use) a VT3. I was having some download problems and it turns out while the download cables look very similar, they are not identical or interchangeable. So, if you find a download cable, be careful what it's for.

Hard to recommend buying something that old.

Richard.

Thanks! There is a transmitter and she said she has all the accessories and manuals that came with it. Hmmm...very tempting. I'll probably go take a look at it (we've just been emailing even though the seller lives right down the street.)

I'll look into the Puck and Veo as well.

Sensors are probably the bits with shortest lifespan, then the LCD. There's no reason they wouldn't last a few more years, but no guarantees of course. As far as the programming is concerned, as in not getting you bent, it should be perfectly fine.

I wonder is the transmitter works with newer oceanics. If it does -- I don't see why not -- it could be worth it for the transmitter alone. On the flip side, getting your transmitter attached to rental regs may be a hassle, ideally you'd want the transmitter after you buy your own regs.

Keep in mind that Suunto and Oceanic have very different approaches to algorithms. I have used a Zoop as a backup to my old Oceanic 180nx and all they did was argue.

Agree re algorithms. Know what you want and make sure your buddy has the same. If the computers disagree and they are both yours, that's ok. If one is your buddy's, someone may feel their dive is ending prematurely. My RDB and I had this issue for a while and it's frustrating for both.

Back
Top Bottom