Used atomic cobalt computer worth buying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abstract

Registered
Reaction score
I can purchase a used atomic cobalt computer for under $350. I am wondering if it is worth it. I read threads about how it may be very unreliable. Are the warranties with atomic transferable? The unit has until the end of the year left. I am mainly worried about water leaking in and destroying the unit. I thought about going with a petrel but it does not have air integration which I would prefer being a new diver.

Cobalt 1 or 2? If it's a 1, make sure the recall servicing was done - otherwise you might really have a leak problem. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ma...34849-atomic-cobalt-dive-computer-recall.html It's a 2012 issue so may not apply.

I don't know of many scuba mfr's that offer transferable warranties but there area few. (Diverite?) I know my Atomic reg warranty is not transferable but no idea if that applies to the Cobalt.
Atomic Aquatics warrants this regulator against defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner

I would say no, though that's a very cheap price. Reason being is that while I loved my Cobalts (only sold them for Petrels because I wanted a wrist mount), they were quite prone to problems: battery lid seal, keyboard magnets, etc. Which is fine if you're a warranty holder because AA has great service and support...but a used Cobalt? The service and support would still be great, but I bet it would get expensive fast.

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, I think that AA would take care of you if you had any issues with it. I'm still using Cobalt 1 and I have right around 165 dives on it and it's holding strong. I finally just got new magnets as the up arrow had bit the dust, they are the cobalt 2 style which is suppose to correct the issue. (This is my 2nd Cobalt 1, as my first one did die) My wife's cobalt 1 died and she was sent a cobalt 2 as a replacement which we haven't had any issues with at all.

I guess you could say Cobalts just require maintenance :) That being said I do dive with two dive computers which I would do anyway if I had a cobalt or not (at least if I'm on a dive trip). If I was purchasing a new computer today I would be picking up a petrel.

I’m guessing this is a Cobalt 1- the Cobalt 2 was a huge improvement as to speed and particularly the compass, if that is important to you. If you have the serial # we can say something about date and time of manufacture.

There were issues, particularly with battery door leaks in the early Cobalt 1, and rusting magnets in the keypad. Both are easily fixable and no longer a problem with updated parts. Atomic is extremely good on customer service. The recall had to do with tightening a stud nut on the HP side, if loose it could allow HP air to leak in and blow out the sealing O-ring. Few units were defective, and in fact most Cobalt 1 production did not fall under the recall. You can look on Atomic’s website and see if this particular serial number is in the group that should be checked. If the Cobalt passed the inspection it was supposed to get a new style cover to indicate it had passed. It’s also Atomic’s policy that if a Cobalt fails due to a HP leak, it will be repaired or replaced regardless of warranty status.

Overall reliability improved a lot with time in production. Like most new products, many changes were made to fix failure points that turned up in use. I think the fact that Atomic has been very open here about problems creates the impression that they were worse than they actually were. Most owners had no issues, and therefore don't post about them.

FWIW, Atomic will totally rebuild a flooded, out of warranty Cobalt with a new circuit board and bring it up to current assembly standards for $350.
If it runs, this sounds like a great deal. Can you see the unit? If so, check the System Info screen for atmospheric pressure to verify that the depth sensor is accurate. At sea level it should read near (plus or minus 20 mbar) 1014 mbar on average- depending on weather. Above sea level it will be less. If it checks out, I’d do it, then update the firmware to the latest version if that has not been done.

-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom