Used AL80's from LDS...cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look for steel 72s, those are frequently same cost as al80s.

For reference, LDS I get fills at sells used tanks (al80 and lp72) with fresh hydro and vis for 100+tax with a free fill card. New pro valve is 60 at LDS, 40 at dgx. O2 cleaning is 35 for a single tank.

Are you diving DIN or Yolk?

I'd like to do DIN. I have a DIN---> yoke converter though. I might use that rather than drop another ~$100 for two new DIN valves. We'll see what I think on that one when the time comes.

Look for steel 72s, those are frequently same cost as al80s.

For reference, LDS I get fills at sells used tanks (al80 and lp72) with fresh hydro and vis for 100+tax with a free fill card. New pro valve is 60 at LDS, 40 at dgx. O2 cleaning is 35 for a single tank.

That's kind of what I'm thinking/hoping for. Im definitely going to pay the ~$30 to get it oxygen clean, but I may not go for a new valve (see above).

Well, depending what your local shop says... If you're interested in going steel, I'm going to be moving a pair of PST HP100's along to a new home this winter... $360 for the pair, delivered anywhere down the I-95 corridor, in the beginning of December. Both tanks will have a fresh 10-18 hydro inspection included in the price.

Attachments

• 20170813_164945.jpg
    20170813_164945.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
Well, depending what your local shop says... If you're interested in going steel, I'm going to be moving a pair of PST HP100's along to a new home this winter... $360 for the pair, delivered anywhere down the I-95 corridor, in the beginning of December. Both tanks will have a fresh 10-18 hydro inspection included in the price.

Cool. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.:cheers:

I generally see good used al80's for 60-80 in Oklahoma. Leisurepro has new tanks for 169 or 179.

Jay

Around here an AL80 with ~3 years of hydro left, fresh VIS and filled goes for $100.
That is a standard yoke valve and only ready for air.
Upgrades cost more. If you want a pro valve and O2 clean, you might as well just buy new.

AL80s are the only thing that sells often enough to have a common price to it. Steels and O2 cleaned are not common enough to have a stable used tank market.

Out of hydro tanks are all over the place in asking price. From someone who thinks they are giving you a deal at $10 under full retail all the way down to $25 for someone just cleaning out the closet. No idea what they actually sell for.

Wish I was still young enough to carry steel 100's. I live near Schenectady and would jump on these if I could still carry them. At 71 they are just too heavy for shore dives for me.

If weight of tank is important because of the need to carry on land, here are some comparisons of empty weights (in pounds) without valves.

Luxfer AL80: 31.38
Faber LP 80: 30
Faber HP 80: 32.5
OMS LP85: 31
Faber HP100: 38.7
Faber LP95: 37.2

You also have to look at the age of the tank. My LDS won't fill any aluminum tanks older than 20 years due to the perceived danger of neck cracking.

You also have to look at the age of the tank. My LDS won't fill any aluminum tanks older than 20 years due to the perceived danger of neck cracking.
Which only happens with one specific aluminum alloy used in a couple of specific tank brands and which has not been used in far, far longer than 20 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom