Used AL80's from LDS...cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What is the going rate for a used AL80 with 1 or more years on the hydro? Price with new DIN pro valve and oxygen clean?

I'd like to pick up 2-3 tanks (price dependent), but I'd like to save a few bucks...so I'm looking at used ones.

My LDS said that they're considering selling a few used tanks. I should hear back from them next week, but in the meantime...just wondering what I should be expecting to get back from them for a dollar total. Thank you.

Very dependent on geography... I wouldn't send money on AL80 tanks (maybe one AL80 just to have for tire filling)... look for high pressure galvanized steel tanks that have a 3/4 inch valve, second to the galvanized high pressure tanks would be high pressure painted ones...

AL 80s are cheap, that's why people like them. HP steel tanks are quite a bit more expensive, but in my opinion, such a better option. An AL 80 holds about 77.5 cf of gas at it's rated service pressure. A steel 100 holds 100 cf of gas at its service pressure and is the same size as an AL 80. A steel 100 also remains negative throughout the dive meaning you'll take about 5 lbs of lead off your belt compared to an 80. Just something to consider.

Price varies from place to place. I've purchased used AL80s for as low as $10 and have sold many of mine for as high as $175. When I decided to sell my AL80s (20 of them) I was told I'll never get $100 for my ALs. Some were sold for $150 each and many went for $175 each. All were in hydro, vip, serviced valve and filled with air. In short, it will depend on how much someone is willing to pay for it and how much the owner is wanting.

even LP steels are a better choice...

Aside from my suit bottle, and my deco bottles, standard aluminum tanks for singles are the one true buying regret (okay, 7) I have.....

One pair of 80's has been twinned for techreational wet suit, and one pair of 63's is twinned for something to mess around with for my double hose...

I'd likely not go more than like $80 (so, about 1/2 regular price)

Very dependent on geography... I wouldn't send money on AL80 tanks (maybe one AL80 just to have for tire filling)... look for high pressure galvanized steel tanks that have a 3/4 inch valve, second to the galvanized high pressure tanks would be high pressure painted ones...

Steel tanks are great, if you have the money. When I started I was on a budget and found that one could buy two AL tanks for the price of one steel. Due to logistics, I wanted to do two dives a day and there was no place to fill a tank between dives. At the time there was not a big secondary market for old steel 72's, never mind having any bigger steel tanks.

I dove those two Al for decades until I started collecting steels. The big difference is that i had to carry more weight a across the beach. I was younger then and it didn't matter much. Once in the water it's all about neutral buoyancy, not the tank.

It's not that I'd rather dive aluminum, but they are not as bad as some describe.

Bob

Steel tanks are great, if you have the money. When I started I was on a budget and found that one could buy two AL tanks for the price of one steel. Due to logistics, I wanted to do two dives a day and there was no place to fill a tank between dives. At the time there was not a big secondary market for old steel 72's, never mind having any bigger steel tanks.

I dove those two Al for decades until I started collecting steels. The big difference is that i had to carry more weight a across the beach. I was younger then and it didn't matter much. Once in the water it's all about neutral buoyancy, not the tank.

It's not that I'd rather dive aluminum, but they are not as bad as some describe.

Bob

Exactly. I blew my wad on regulators, BC, wetsuit, etc. For the moment...I'm just looking at AL80's because they're cheap.

After I get a couple inexpensive tanks on hand...I'll entertain "better" options.

Bob

Agreed, it's not that AL80's are bad (95% of my dives to date are with AL tanks)... it's just that if I were actively looking to buy a few tanks for local diving (which I am at this moment) then I'd give serious preference to steel tanks. With steel thanks the OP should be aware of PSI 7/8th tanks... those are DIN only. As a newer diver I picked up a pair of them, and I'm currently looking to move them along as my regulators are yoke...

Exactly. I blew my wad on regulators, BC, wetsuit, etc. For the moment...I'm just looking at AL80's because they're cheap.

After I get a couple inexpensive tanks on hand...I'll entertain "better" options.

Are you diving DIN or Yolk?

Back
Top Bottom