Wanted Used 1st stage for tire inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just get a tire inflator for the BC hose and use your regulator. How often do you need to inflate the tires? And what harm can it cause to your regulator. But Conshelf is what I would choose. Simple and a breeze to work on.

Though the OP has found what they need, FWIW I use an old MR12 first stage. Nice, compact, bullet proof, and I have both DIN and Yoke for it.

Just get a tire inflator for the BC hose and use your regulator. How often do you need to inflate the tires? And what harm can it cause to your regulator.

Yes to that. Thank you.

I don't use or need a spare regulator for that. There's a simple air chuck that pops into the BC inflation hose on your rig, and allows you to use your normal working rig to inflate tires. Just disconnect the BC, pop in the chuck, inflate the tire. The only "extra" I have to pack and carry is an inch or so of brass, the air chuck fitting itself.

If you want to make tire inflation really easy, for about $25 you can buy an air pump from Slime that also can pump in sealant, in case you have a puncture. Or, if you just want the pump, they make one that you can pre-set to any PSI, which then cuts off automatically once it reaches that pressure. Makes it REALLY easy to inflate all four tires to the same balanced pressure. Very simple, very accurate.

Just a bit bigger than an air chuck...but it is packed next to my spare tire anyway.

I have a compressor and just bought a MUCH bigger one.. I am not sure what tires you are filling with your slime compressor but try bringing a truck tire from 50 to 70lbs with one of those and see what happens... they take FOREVER if yours can even run that high of pressure

Last edited:
Just get a tire inflator for the BC hose and use your regulator. How often do you need to inflate the tires? And what harm can it cause to your regulator. But Conshelf is what I would choose. Simple and a breeze to work on.
I have those and use them for inflating my dive float. I also have a quick connect chuck so I can use a blower or other small tools. I was looking for a regulator for when I am not bringing my scuba gear camping, which is often. This reg will have a lp hose to 1/4 npt a adapter to a quick connect (air tool not scuba). One of the other lp ports will have a blow off valve at 150psi and that is it. It will stay in the truck as a support gear and not scuba gear. Then when I need to camp a grab a stage bottle and go.

Last edited:
View attachment 405680

Who needs a regulator to fill a tire?
I shot this pic on Bonaire of my brother winning a bet, that even a half full 60c.f. tank would fully inflate a truck tire, just by holding the valve of the tank close to the valve stem and directing the blast of air at the valve stem.
I lost $20, but learned something that may come in handy in a similar emergency.

That reminds me of the trick to get a tire back on it's rim by spraying hair spray in it and lighting a match.

If you do use a separate Conshelf first stage, remember that if the first stage creeps the pressure will build and blow any LP hoses connected to the LP side. If a second stage is connected it will serve as a relief valve. Another reason to just use the working regulator with the BC inflator hose and a tire inflator hooked up to it .

That reminds me of the trick to get a tire back on it's rim by spraying hair spray in it and lighting a match.
I have seen video of that but never seen that in real life. I have always used ratchet straps.

I would love to try this some time ;-)

Good point about the truck tires being much bigger, Iam. I know there are inflators designed for the bigger tires to address that problem. A regulator AND even a 40cf tank...that's still a lot to carry, and a consumable resource vs something more conventional though. I guess you're driving where "stuck" is not a good thing. (Been there, nice place to visit though.(G)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom