Use red filter with protune? GOPRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MyronGanes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is it better to use Protune by itself or use Protune AND a red filter? How difficult is it to correct colours when filming with Protune on? I have little experience with Protune. Thanks

Ditch the filter and just use video editing to adjust colours.
A red filter provides a fixed amount of red, which will rarely be right for the depth you're at. Sure, some filters are stackable but it's still rarely going to be exactly right. Plus they can't adjust for distance. Also, filters don't add colour - they take away other colours. ie. They reduce the overall amount of light that hits your camera sensor. Light is king when it comes to video or photography, so you want to keep every little bit of light that you can. Filters are evil!

The GoPro Studio software is fine for some simple colour adjustment. Just edit your clips and use the colour sliders to add in a touch of red or other colours to get the footage looking right. A bit of extra contrast also works wonders at making video seem clearer. If you want to get more advanced you can even add keyframes to have the amount of colour adjustment slowly varying as your subject moves closer or further away (especially important if you're providing your own light), but if you're a beginner at this then I would recommend you just play with contrast, colour and perhaps the lightness and saturation sliders.

Ditch the filter and just use video editing to adjust colours.
A red filter provides a fixed amount of red, which will rarely be right for the depth you're at. Sure, some filters are stackable but it's still rarely going to be exactly right. Plus they can't adjust for distance. Also, filters don't add colour - they take away other colours. ie. They reduce the overall amount of light that hits your camera sensor. Light is king when it comes to video or photography, so you want to keep every little bit of light that you can. Filters are evil!

The GoPro Studio software is fine for some simple colour adjustment. Just edit your clips and use the colour sliders to add in a touch of red or other colours to get the footage looking right. A bit of extra contrast also works wonders at making video seem clearer. If you want to get more advanced you can even add keyframes to have the amount of colour adjustment slowly varying as your subject moves closer or further away (especially important if you're providing your own light), but if you're a beginner at this then I would recommend you just play with contrast, colour and perhaps the lightness and saturation sliders.

I will be doing a bit more advanced colour correction than that. I will be spending a bit of time learning how to do it anyway.

What do you think of this video then? He is filming using red filters for all of his footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEh2rv4VTY

I will be doing a bit more advanced colour correction than that. I will be spending a bit of time learning how to do it anyway.

What do you think of this video then? He is filming using red filters for all of his footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEh2rv4VTY

Red filters, Protune and fixed WB is the way to go. That's how I filmed with my GoPro and they give great and easy to color correct results. Color correcting in this case can be as simple as using the WB picking tool and selecting a white or gray colored object in the video. The colors in my videos came out pretty darn good. Be sure to add contrast and maybe saturation to Protune video. Of course the deeper you go, the more muted colors will become.

Photographers and science/engineer types sometimes don't like UW video filters. I wonder how much UW video experience the anti-filter people have. UW video is different than photography. Filters don't solve all problems, have their weaknesses, but are the most economical and practical way to improve UW video color.

Watch some UW video shot with filters and form your own opinion if filters are evil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom