Use of hands when diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in general i do not see why hands should be used for diving. normally i have them crossed on my belly (when i'm not taking photos of course). otherwise you might need to use them in very narrow situations (in a wreck or a cave) where even a slight kick may kick up too much sand or what ever.

basically i think hands are used way too much by divers to hold on on coral blocks or to touch things... i think we all agree that this is just wrong.

Thomas

I've been diving a while. Do I use my hands? Some, not much. I used to be able to back fin, frog kick, and turn quite nicely using only fins. After 2 knee surgeries, I can still frog kick, but it looks a bit funny. My left knee will just not do what I ask it to do anymore and when I do, it hurts. So, sometimes in some situations, I may stick my finger out to push off the reef. I try to touch something that looks like it isn't alive. I may use a closed hand to scull a bit, but I don't flail and I only do it when necessary. Most of the time, I'm holding a camera, so my hands are busy.

basically i think hands are used way too much by divers to hold on on coral blocks or to touch things... i think we all agree that this is just wrong.

Thomas

Wrong to touch things? I can't agree. I don't apply that rule to myself above water.

in general i do not see why hands should be used for diving. normally i have them crossed on my belly (when i'm not taking photos of course). otherwise you might need to use them in very narrow situations (in a wreck or a cave) where even a slight kick may kick up too much sand or what ever.

Thomas

I sometimes touch things when I dive ... especially tasty things ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hey guys something that puzzles me a bit is the fixation on never using your hands for "finning'.
Other than for pure ego reasons why wouldn't an experienced diver (someone who could and does have good fin control) use their hands for discrete direction changes or where the hands are free but the fins might cause silting ?

Can light in the left, scooter in the right. I've only got two hands. :cool2:

Thomas

Which is it do you use your hands or not? I take pictures also. I can't imagine taking pictures without using a hand sometimes to change direction to follow a subject swimming across in front of me. Because most of my diving is done in less than 10' vis often at night I may be hovering less than a foot off the bottom sometimes with knees bent sitting on my fins. How the heck do I turn to follow that little critter except to use a hand?

That's the trouble with fanatics someone mentions using hands and because they are fanatics they can only envision someone lacking skills using their hands, when in fact the opposite is sometimes the case. I was lucky to have started diving before this nonsense with the no hands started so I wasn't inhibited to use my hands in situations where they are the only practical choice.

I do agree if you look like you should be swimming at the surface you're doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Wrong to touch things? I can't agree. I don't apply that rule to myself above water.

Reminds me of a story: listening to an unfailingly polite Southern instructor teaching a couple of ladies how to scuba dive and telling them:

"Now if I accidentally touch something that I shouldn't, I hope you'll forgive me. On the other hand, if I hold on, please feel free to slap me."

Let's step a minute to basics- and by that I mean buoyancy. If you are a "good" diver, that means among other things that you have excellent buoyancy control. You shouldn't need to kick or fin to maintain you position in the water, your should be neutral. I appreciate that it take practice and experience to achieve that status, but that is the essence of diving for me- to be part of the environment, not an intruder.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom