• Sometimes

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Used to, but don't anymore

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Carrots/Other/Meh

Votes: 6 7.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how a gag strap would have helped the situation, and if anything, I could see how it could have hampered the situation.

Right. I think the claim is that a gag strap is helpful in the event the diver goes unconscious. I'm not sure if there is anyone suggesting that it's helpful when the diver is conscious and keeping the mouthpiece in their mouth without help.

In the scenario that happened to you/your buddy, if your buddy had had a gag strap and the same training I did, then (hopefully) he would have closed the DSV (as he presumably did) and pulled it out of his mouth and down onto his chin in order to then allow himself to get his BO reg in his mouth. One the DSV is pulled out and down like that, I'm not sure if it would really be a problem or in the way after that, even for people like yourself and your other buddies who were managing the hypercapnic diver. But, I don't really know - meaning, I haven't been there. I haven't seen it. I only know how I was trained and, well, what I read on the Internet...

Managing a CO2 hit is certainly easiest with a BOV plumbed to BO gas. Gag strap with BOV for immediate relief of a gas composition problem and diver airway security, DSV with no gag strap, to facilitate easier BO, seems like good general criteria.

Perhaps the most Important or first question is: which is statistically most likely and in what order? Hypercapnia, hyperoxia or hypoxia? Does anyone know any statistics to draw from?

I'm not sure how a gag strap would have helped the situation, and if anything, I could see how it could have hampered the situation.

The CO2 hit buddy didnt have a BOV correct?

I'm not sure if I was clear earlier. I think gag straps are suited with BOVs- especially in mixed teams. I am not a gag strap advocate with a DSV.

Right. I think the claim is that a gag strap is helpful in the event the diver goes unconscious. I'm not sure if there is anyone suggesting that it's helpful when the diver is conscious and keeping the mouthpiece in their mouth without help.

I love my gag strap and the big mouthpiece flang while scootering

He had a BOV, I believe they're standard issue on his rebreather (X-CCR).

The cause was most likely related to poor habits with regards to absorbent replacement. I'll simply say that re-using a scrubber has become a hot button topic for me.

He had a BOV, I believe they're standard issue on his rebreather (X-CCR).

The cause was most likely related to poor habits with regards to absorbent replacement. I'll simply say that re-using a scrubber has become a hot button topic for me.
taking a partially used scrubber for a 300ft dive is insanity...

Just so we understand, did he switch the BOV to OC but it did not alleviate his hypercapnia symptoms?

I've seen two people get CO2 hits. Both took awhile to clear up after they bailed out. They both chewed through a LOT of gas. More so than they would have thought possible before they took the hit.

I think the record was the guy that used over 40 cubic feet of gas to go 200' out in a cave with high flow.

I've seen two people get CO2 hits. Both took awhile to clear up after they bailed out. They both chewed through a LOT of gas. More so than they would have thought possible before they took the hit.

I think the record was the guy that used over 40 cubic feet of gas to go 200' out in a cave with high flow.

I love seeing people with nothing but a 40 of air, it's like watching Darwin at work!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom