USD "Wrap around" mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the one that has hex nuts at the top and bottom was made in the USA. The other was made in Japan. I bought a new one in 1982 and am trying to find another just like it.

I had two of those, I think I bought them around 1980....great mask, but they did get a bit uncomfortable after an hour. One good thing I remember about those mask is they fit just about everybody, so they were good to have as loners.

The rubber eventually broke down and split at the upper lip seal area on both of them, so they got tossed.

c

I must be one of the few that this mask did not fit. I preferred the Scubapro tri-window mask instead, and went through three of those. I now have a Dacor tri-window which is a very good fit for me.

SeaRat

John if you owned one of these, I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know; but for others, especially if someone has a big face-you can flex the side windows out a bit as the pins that go through the frame can serve as a hinge. Just grasp the window panels near the rear and "open" the mask a bit and put it on while holding the panels flexed open.

c

couv,

It wasn't that the USD mask didn't fit, it was that the rubber was harder and hurt my face. The Scubapro mask had a softer feel, and fit well as did the Dacor mask. I think the new USD tri-window masks made of black silicone are better, softer on the face.

SeaRat

I have one of these masks but the purge valve holes are open under the nose? In the PICs attached the holes are solid\closed. Not sure how the purge would work unless hte holes were open?

The mask I have was my brothers - it looks brand new but is thirty years old!

The idea of those knobs was to allow the owner the option of having or not having a purge.

I'm on my third USD wrap around mask.

My first one was lost in Monterey, CA in the late 80's. I cannot remember any significant details, but it was older, probably 70's and it had a rubber skirt.

My second one was purchased in 2002 by a freind. When he gave it to it me it was brand new and had hex bolts on top like yours and a phillips head on the bottom. I wore it to the point that those bolts broke and I could not find replacements in town(Sitka, AK).

After struggling for a few year to find a well fiting mask, I went back the USD wrap around. The new one, which I purchased in September of 2011 has black metal bands instead of chrome.

IMG_4677.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom