USD "Wrap around" mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Next question, what should I sell it for?
It's in great shape, no tears or problems with the skirt. I don't think it was used much.
I'm never going to use it and I figure somebody might want it.
Should I post it up here or go to VSS or VDH, or does it even qualify as vintage?

When was the "Made in Japan" era? I thought that was early 70's.

I was thinking about the purge valve cutout I saw in your pics. The 4 raised nubs under the nose pocket. I don't recall seeing too many masks these days with purge valves. That may be a clue as to when it was made. If I recall correctly the 1st models had the purge valve exposed. There were some issues with the purge valve leaking and some divers just didn't like it, so USD blocked it and gave the user the option. Use the scatter gun approach and advertise it everywhere.

A friend gave this thing to me,.
Can anyone tell me the aproximate age?

Next question, what should I sell it for?
It's in great shape, no tears or problems with the skirt. I don't think it was used much.
I'm never going to use it and I figure somebody might want it.
Should I post it up here or go to VSS or VDH, or does it even qualify as vintage?

When was the "Made in Japan" era? I thought that was early 70's.

Do you mean to use this forum to 1) get some real input as to age, etc., ONLY 2) to find out how much it is worth? If I knew that I would not have looked up the answer for you. Put it on eBay and find out.

A friend gave this thing to me,.
Can anyone tell me the aproximate age?

Do you mean to use this forum to 1) get some real input as to age, etc., ONLY 2) to find out how much it is worth? If I knew that I would not have looked up the answer for you. Put it on eBay and find out.

Sorry, I didn't mean to piss you off, or anybody else for that matter.

It wasn't my intention to have people go out of their way to spend time looking something up for me so I can sell it. I just thought if someone knew off the top of their heads something about it, great. I didn't think a stupid mask would cause people to go out of their way and pull out the vintage dictionary on masks.

My intention was first to establish wether or not in classified as vintage so I could advertise as such. I should have put down in the original post that I was going to sell it, my bad. There was no malicious intent on my part, I just wanted to know where and how to post it.

No need to fret, ZKY. I went to my library to look up the introduction date for you. If that wasn't what you were after, then that's fine by me. I know hundreds of divers read these threads who might want or need the information, so I don't get all crotchety about posting it here for everyone to read.

The purge was a cut-out option from the very beginning.

As you have been learning, there are a few of us NAVED members who are very serious about our vintage diving. We are also very helpful when it comes to assisting anyone in learning about dive gear of that ambiguous vintage era. As a child of the Sea Hunt era, I am very willing to assist anyone in knowledge, but not just to inform them of "value". I have seen these things sell for almost any amount. I was not offended by your posts; mostly irritated as to the true meaning of your inquiry. Sell it or not, your option.

Here's the box my old usd wrap around came in.

Attachments

• USD mask box 1.jpg
    USD mask box 1.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 89
  • USD mask box 2.jpg
    USD mask box 2.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 93
  • USD mask box3.jpg
    USD mask box3.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 72
  • USD mask box4.jpg
    USD mask box4.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 68
There are two things to consider here. First, if you want to sell it, you won't get too much for it as a brand new one is available in almost indestructible silicone. Years ago I rejected the USD version of this mask as too uncomfortable, as the rubber was hard. I instead went for the Scubapro tri-view mask. I wore out three of those. Now I have a silicone Scubapro tri-view with the purge valve, and a Dacor I mentioned before. But the USD triview in neoprene was not my favorite (may simply be a fit issue). But I hear that the silicone version now on sale is much more comfortable.

Second, if it fits you may want to keep it as a backup. Why? Well, if you ever dive in dirty or polluted water, having the purge valve could help a lot, and these masks don't collect much water in them. Polluted water up the nose is not a good thing. Also, if you dive in cold water, this mask will be much more comfortable than one of the close-view masks, simply because of the increased air space.

Or, you could sell it...

SeaRat

I have two. One I dive regularily.

I don't know the age but here is an odd bit of info that I am curious about:

One I have has the same markings as yours but has hex bolts top and bottom. The second has no markings at all except "Taiwan" by the nose yet has hex bolts on top and screws on the bottom (like yours). I wonder if the second is a knock off or still a wraparound and what the deal is on the hex bolt/screws.

Nice mask. Can be used as a lift bag if neccisary :D

Well this is my first post...Hi everyone and I have had my wraparound since 2007 it has on the strap the U.S. DIVERS (on top of circle) and Aqualung (on bottom of circle) In center top of the glass etched U.S Divers and Tempered just below it and 2 hex bolts on top and philipps screws on the bottom. Also U.S. Divers on the top skirt.It's comfortable and doesn't leak though I do trim my mustache a bit before diving...now if only my vintage reg can come in the mail...

Back
Top Bottom