US tanks in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crab lover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know I am jumping the gun a bit here, but my husband is in the Air Force and we are hoping to get stationed at RAF Mildenhall or RAF Lakenheath two years from now. What I would like to know is... will the LDSs in England fill my HP100 & HP80 steel DIN tanks? I would be willing to have them hydro'ed there if that's the only requirement (that's about the time they will be due anyway).

Tough question. Some shops might others might not. The tanks are not "CE marked". This marking is to ensure that personal safety (or life support) equipment is of a suitable quality and not cheap Chinese rubbish that will kill you. This marking is not required outside the EU and so US kit is not CE marked but it is nevertheless without doubt of a high quality and safe.
You can buy Ali 80 and Ali 40 tanks in the UK (they are popular with technical divers as stages) and tanks that were made before the CE marking can still be used. In fact the CE marking is not law and only applies to professional divers. However, some dive shops take the view that their staff (the tank filler) should only fill CE compliant equipment. To add to the problem a new CE system has been introduced for nitrox with a new cylinder valve dedicated to gasses over 22% O2

In short the only way to answer your question is to ask the dive centre that you intend to use. As to the hydro test again the law is unclear. The UK dive tank testing is done by IDEST and they might take the view that the tanks are not CE tanks so cannot be tested. This (again) is not law, but if the guy at the dive shop says "no" the law is somewhat irrelevant.

Tanks are not expensive in the UK and are 232 bar as standard (3500 psi). The standard tank is 12L so a little bigger than an Ali 80 and they cost about US$220 new. test cycles are 2.5 years visual and 5 years hydro. Oxygen service is annual. O2 cleaning about 40 dollars. Most UK centres require O2 clean tanks for nitrox. Hydro test about $50, visual about $40. Mostly you get a valve service even if not needed - about $20.

Tank rental about $15 a day.

Tanks must have a content sticker and some dive centres get very silly about all these regulations others do not. Not much diving near Mildenhall - head south and the channel for the good stuff. Not sure there are any centres there for filling. Ipswich is the nearest and has opened a while back but after I lived in that town (I was at college there).

Depending on how many tanks you have I would be very inclined to sell them and buy European specification tanks. If you want to find out about the dive centre in Ipswich and their views on your tanks they are here: http://www.diveline.co.uk/

Tank regulations are a bit silly in the UK right now. Mainland Europe is better :)

Chris

Thank you so much for the info! It really is going to help me, at least I know what to be prepared for...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom