US Patent 3,957,007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I ran across this searching the US Patent database.

Air powered water propulsion method and apparatus

Abstract
A vessel operable by a diver for use in towing himself has an air motor powered by the diver's air tank. All or part of the air used by the diver passes through the motor. Air used by the motor in excess of air needed for breathing is exhausted into the vessel wake to reduce drag. A manifold, connected to the diver's air breathing means and to the tank, provides air connections to the vessel during towing operations and is quickly detachable and provides connection from the tank to the air breathing means when the diver operates away from the vessel.

Well, well. How nifty does this sound? Does anyone know if anything ever came of it? Was there an actual product?

This was filed in 1976..

Someone had a motor a few years ago that attached to the bottom of the tank and used the higher pressure air to drive it. The spent air at a lower pressure was then routed to the second stage regulator for the diver to breathe. Not sure if it really made it to market but it was in some of the dive magazines.

Ralph

Yes I saw an article about 5-10 years ago ,
in popular science I think.

It used a swash plate or wobble plate motor, based on reverse function of swash plate pump.

Here's alink that shows the action of the pump.
http://www.animatedsoftware.com/pumpglos/swashpla.htm

Back
Top Bottom