US Divers circa question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Farrelon Tri Vue was lower volume design, a nice mask though not really vintage. There are several similar low-er volume tri view types around including a new one by AL I think and TUSA has one too.

However, while I never much cared for the huge volume USD tri view it is a popular mask with working divers and still available along with the Atlantis and Pacifica styles also--in wonderful silicone.

Old rotten rubber junk from eBay is for display only, when you are a half mile from shore and alone it is no place for a rotten mask.

P6170105.jpg

Old and rotten rubber junk from Bay is great to collect but it belongs on a shelf, not in the water, it is a long swim back to shore if my mask splits like Slonda's did. No, unfortunately, once the rubber begins to perish, there is no repair. The 100% food grade liquid silicone does act as a preservative for neoprene goods.

Despite my lifelong disdain for TUSA as of late they have had a number of nice masks including this one:

http://www.tusa.com/shop/visio-triex-p-15-c-15_16.html

However, unfortunately it does not even begin to be vintage compliant anymore than my Atomic but then again, it is nice to be able to see.

N

I just bought (3) tri-view masks on Ebay. The name on them is "U.S. Scuba".

Anyone know anything about this company?

Thx,

Sorry, that's not a wrap around. That's a TRI-VIEW, a whole different kettle of fish. I bought mine in 77 and I still use it.

I use to have a Farrelon Tri Vue low volume mask also, however, it sat so close to my face the side windows were of no use........the big frame fixture blocked any additional advantage of the side view........I gave it to my son to use and from there it was lost...........

I have in turn a tri view mask (made in Taiwan) my son gave me, clear silicon, (yuck), no frame, the glass is seamed together like a large fish tank and the additional view to the side is great!.....

At least on my left side........right side is useless as my right eye is useless..........the nose pocket is too large and this blocks what vision to the right I get from my left eye........I wish they'd make a mask like this but with no nose pocket that obstructs forward vision and in black.........

Ahhh, I guess I will stay with my oval plate mask.........

US Scuba is made in Asia.........

I've got a Nemrod MaxVue. It's almost the size of a full face mask and clearing it takes determination. The two side windows don't really blend into your field of view, but you can see through them well enough.

I've dove with it about 4 times now, but it just doesn't seal very well and I find I'm constantly clearing that little pool of water down by my nose that keeps coming in.

I find I'm constantly clearing that little pool of water down by my nose that keeps coming in.

I use that little pool of water to keep my glass clean and defogged....oval mask works for this.......look down, shake my head like an old dog and go about my business..........

That's alright, providing that little pool of water doesn't keep getting bigger. With that Nemrod mask, that's what happens and about every minute or two I have to clear the excess.

I currently have three tri-view masks. I have the Scubapro, in silicone (white--semitransparent), a Dacor DM40 Trivue (black neoprene), and my former favorite, the Farallon tri-view. Of these, the Dacor Trivue is my favorite, and I still use it all the time. I use it both in the pool and in the river. It has a fairly close fit, great down visibility, good side visibility with the tri-view lenses, and is very comfortable (better than the US Divers equivalent, for me at least).

I re-looked at the photos in the first post on this thread, and I think that some silicone grease will revitalize the mask and make it operable for quite a while. I don't see huge cracks which would make it unusable, so give it a try and see. I'd at least use it in the pool to see if it fit well, and was watertight. But put the silicone grease on the neoprene and let it sit for a week or so first.

I'll see if I can get a photo for you of my tri-view masks.

SeaRat

Here are some photos of my mask collection. I have included my three tri-view masks, the Dacor, Scubapro, and Farralon masks. I forgot the Farralon one, so it is an individual photo. I really liked that one when it first came out, and used it until it was gone (a dive shop person put a non-return into the mask's skirt, instead of under the nose, which cause problems). The Scubapro was my favorite, as it was a great mask in black; I like it better than the silicone one I currently own. But right now the Dacor is my favorite.

The tri-window on the Farralon mask (orange) do function very well to provide further visibility sideways (this one has surgical tubing in the sides to make the mask fit my face, but it is still a bit of a fit problem). This is the biggest asset to the tri-view masks. The Dacor, because of its black skirt, does not have internal reflections.

SeaRat

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpg
    IMG_3856.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    434.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3865.jpg
    IMG_3865.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 99
I got a like new oval mask the other day. I dove it today and unlike my tri-view mask, it works great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom