US Divers/ Aqua Lung.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that all masks are made with tempered lens so, I don't think that is an issue. I personally think that the difference in the mask is all in the skirt. PVC with silicone vs. all silicone. PVC when exposed to sun and chlorine or salt water will break down and could leak because of cracking in the skirt after some use. My concern would be that while diving, your mask could have a major leaking issue possibly causing you to have to ascend without a mask.

talk to any dive shop and they'll tell you that the Wal Mart stuff is junk ........ they are made cheaply and not designed to holdup over time. The models are not the same and material are different. If it works for you now great ... use it .... but I would keep looking for another mask ..... it doesn't hurt to have a backup mask just in case the cheap one starts to leak one day while diving. Did you buy the "cheap" plastic shorkel and your fins there too ? I notice Wal Mart has all three in one package for a great "Wal Mart" price.

scubapro50:
Did you buy the "cheap" plastic shorkel and your fins there too ? I notice Wal Mart has all three in one package for a great "Wal Mart" price.

Ouch! Did someone wake up too early this morning? Give him a break, he asked a question about a mask that fit not your opinion about the price!

scubapro50:
talk to any dive shop and they'll tell you that the Wal Mart stuff is junk ........ they are made cheaply and not designed to holdup over time. The models are not the same and material are different. If it works for you now great ... use it .... but I would keep looking for another mask ..... it doesn't hurt to have a backup mask just in case the cheap one starts to leak one day while diving. Did you buy the "cheap" plastic shorkel and your fins there too ? I notice Wal Mart has all three in one package for a great "Wal Mart" price.
Yes and of course the dive shop will give you the most accurate, unbiased information available :06:

wedivebc:
Yes and of course the dive shop will give you the most accurate, unbiased information available :06:

The U.S. DIVERS line is simply a line branded for mass merchants,
Wal-Mart, big 5, catalog distributors, etc.. The quality is similar to
many items being sold to dive stores and used for diving. Many "dive" masks
and snorkels are made in the same offshore OEM'S using exactly the same materials.

Ann Marie:
I believe that all masks are made with tempered lens so, I don't think that is an issue. I personally think that the difference in the mask is all in the skirt. PVC with silicone vs. all silicone. PVC when exposed to sun and chlorine or salt water will break down and could leak because of cracking in the skirt after some use. My concern would be that while diving, your mask could have a major leaking issue possibly causing you to have to ascend without a mask.
WRONG ..... Many "cheap" masks have faceplates made of plastic not glass and I know of no one that would want to use a "plastic" lens mask for diving.

scubapro50:
WRONG ..... Many "cheap" masks have faceplates made of plastic not glass and I know of no one that would want to use a "plastic" lens mask for diving.

www.snorkelcity.com/usdivavmasse.html

The mask in question is the U.S. DIVERS Avalon. It has a normal tempered glass
lens and is made with a skirt material silicone and pvc. Many masks in LDS use
exactly the same materials.

Of course, the better quality masks use surgical grade silicone and they cost
more.

There is nothing that would make the Avalon mask unsuitable for diving.

Hmmmmmm . . .
Interesting discussion.
If the diver kept the pressure regulated in his mask to offset the ambient water pressure below the 10 feet mentioned, would the $75 mask be any more seaworthy than the $24 mask?
I mean, after all, isn't it the pressure that we're worried about . . . pressure causing the mask to leak or destruct in some manner?

Ummm the manufacturor told you it isn't usable below 10 feet and you want to defend it as not being cheap junk?

Okaaaay :)

I have learned a lesson about posting on this board. If you choose the wrong product, you will get attacked. I guess unless it’s BP/W, DUI, Scubapro, Apeks then I better keep my mouth shut!

Welcome to the community!!!!

MDB and Ann,

thanks for reading my whole post. You saw what I was trying to get at. As I stated before I didn't seek out a "Cheap" mask (I already have a Cressi Big Eyes). The Avalon basically fell in my lap, I tried it and was pleased with it's performance. Thanks again for your post and kindness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom