US diver fins and mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clsund

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm doing research on getting into the hobby. Haven't actually been certified yet. I'm looking to start with buying my fins and mask first. I happened to stumble upon a US Divers retail store and they had some really inexpensive split fins. I asked if they were ok for scuba and I was told yes. Same for the mask. Just wanted to check if this was correct. I'm looking at the Hydro split fins and the sphera mask.

Also, in my search, I found that there were certain fins that were only for snorkeling and not scuba. How do you tell the difference?

If you are just getting into SCUBA, I would not recommend split-fins yet. A good set of basic fins should be just fine. In fact, some people don't like split fins at all. I've never tried them so I can't comment.

Masks are all about fit. A competent dive shop should be able to help you here, but the idea is to fin a mask that fits your face well. You want to try the mask on with a regulator in your mouth, breathe in through your nose, and the mask should seal tightly everywhere. No leaks. Sometimes a brand simply won't fit you.

SCUBA typically requires a fairly stiff fin. Moreso than skin diving. You are moving a lot of heavy, bulky gear through the water. You probably also want to use an open heel fin so you can wear shoes or boots with them. Skin divers can wear fins with full foot pockets because they don't wear boots.

Just make sure you're buying DIVE gear, not snorkeling gear. New US Divers equipment is commonly considered as snorkeling gear, not dive gear. Remember that you'll encounter pressure at depth, and that isn't the place to be "testing" your mask for fitness! :wink:

Also, before you decide on split vs. regular fins please try them both out in the water. A few shops in my area seem to push the splits but when I tried them in the water I found them floppy and cumbersome. I didn't feel I could do tight maneuvers, and generally felt a huge lack of control. However, there are many who dive with splits who love them and don't have the same issues as I.

Just to add to Perrone's excellent advice, when you fit a mask to your face (with a regulator in your mouth), you want to just barely inhale to see if the mask seals. You don't want to suck real hard, or mash the mask to your face. It should mate perfectly enough to stick to your face by itself with hardly any suction. That way your not dependant upon a tight strap to keep it sealed, which gets uncomfortable fast, and makes your face look funny for the rest of the day.
I've never tried the split fins. Been using my IDI power fins for years. A lot of people use Scubapro jetfins or rocket fins. They all look the same to me. Work great. A lot of folks also put spring straps on their fins also. It's a great idea, but I still have a few spare straps to use up before I go that route.
I tend to think of split fins as just another gimmicky money maker, but then again, so were vented fins way back when. Whatever way you go, get strap on type and some booties.
The hard part about learning to dive these days is picking your equipment. It's overwhelming. Seems to be about 200 regulator manufacturers now. Same with masks, fins, wetsuits and bc's etc. You gotta decide whether you want a standard bc, or go with backplate and wing. Which kind of wing etc.
I noticed you called diving a hobby. Be forewarned. Once you get into this, you may find it to be more of an obsession. An expensive obsession.

All the advice you've gotten so far is good. Especially about making sure it's for scuba. Make no mistake a store will tell you "sure you can use em for scuba". And you can until you get into the water with a bc, tank, regulator, etc. Then you will find out that the inexpensive (cheap) stuff only reiterates the old adage of you get what you pay for. Personal gear for scuba will run in this ballpark: Mask 40-60 dollars and up, Snorkel 20 & up, good booties 30 &up, fins regularly 60 &up. Now you may be able to find deals, packages, closeouts, etc. But be careful a student of ours bought an oceanic light vision mask for 30 bucks in another stores "bargain bin" first pool session resulted in constant leakage due to poor fit, lights would not come on, lights would not go out, and seal around lens was found to have small tear. Some bargain. Also many of the new usdivers gear which is a division of aqualung is gear more towards the recreational swimming & snorkeling market NOT scuba. If you are going to go aqualung get aqualung for scuba such as the caravelle adjustable or blades two, mask will be a matter of fit but get one for scuba from their quartz or hawaii lines. snorkel can be wet or dry and should have a large bore with a silicone flexible bottom so that it drops away from your mouth and does not kink when put in. Booties are available from simple soft soles to ones that look like you could jump up and down on broken glass (don't) and not have a care. here again fit is important. Most important though is to go to a DIVE SHOP and get their recommendations. I'm not familiar with a us divers retail store but it seems this was not a dive shop (correct me if I'm wrong) but you can buy us divers fins and masks in walmart and at Cabela's. Neither of these is a dive shop and so if you ask them they'll also tell you sure it can be used for scuba. Smart move coming here first before spending money on stuff you might only be good with using in a pool or shallow lagoon without any extra gear.

NO, it is not good for scuba. If it is cheap, it is probably cheap junk. N

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will make a trip to a LDS and try some masks on. As for the split fins, I used them snorkeling in Alaska this summer and found them to be very easy to use. Minimal effort and I was gliding forward with ease which is why I'm looking at them. But I see the advice about getting a mask that fits. Even though the mask I used in Alaska was brand new, it didnt' fit and kept leaking water. So I will definitely be heeding that advice.
As for the expensive comment, I know expensive. I have been in the saltwater aquarium for over 3 years now and that is definitely expensive. My interest in this hobby/sport stems from this. In fact, it is also somewhat of a business proposition since I own a business selling live coral. The website is www.platinumreefs.com if anyone would like to check it out. It brings a slice of the ocean into your home while you're out of the water. Thanks again.

clsund:
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will make a trip to a LDS and try some masks on. As for the split fins, I used them snorkeling in Alaska this summer and found them to be very easy to use. Minimal effort and I was gliding forward with ease which is why I'm looking at them. But I see the advice about getting a mask that fits. Even though the mask I used in Alaska was brand new, it didnt' fit and kept leaking water. So I will definitely be heeding that advice.

Get a good mask that fits you for now. I might leave getting the fin after the scuba class. You might have a better idea what's good and what's not. Sometimes you get different perspective from the LDS and the instructors. See what they have to say.

Split fins are very efficient for swimming in the surface. As for underwater, it is pretty subjective.

I would disagree with the statement above about stiff fins for Scuba compared to Skindiving.

I use jet fins so my thinking is reverse biased. haha

I think for skin diving you need a fin to get you down in a hurry and up in a hurry. This means you need acceleration as compared to sustained speeds. This calls for a paddle type fin.

For scuba most people do not need the acceleration because most rec diving is drift diving. Of course not all. This is where you can fudge on the fin.

My advise is buy a good set for diving but since you do not know what kind you will want just go ahead and buy the cheap fins and buy again when you start diving. It is not much money.

When I decided to get certified, I went to a dive shop and they soled me the US Divers set up. I bought a Look mask because I wanted prescription inserts and they have worked great so far. Same for the snorkel (which it turns out I never use or wear)-Flex impulse. My fins are Caravelle but the full foot kind. The advice from the shop that they would be a better option for me to start with because I'm small and don't have a strong kick. I love my gear. However, now I want to get different fins. It is very painful taking them off after diving. The get superglued to the top of my feet. Makes me slow getting back on the boat. Scuba Pro jet fins have been recommended by both men and women as very efficient and comfortable.

My point is that you may buy stuff now that you think you like, but a year down the road (heck, by the end of your OW class) you may decide you want something totally different.

Good luck with your obsessio---I mean hobby.

Back
Top Bottom