Question Urostomy Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have had a Urostomy fitted and would like to know from other similar divers if , when diving in a wet suit do you leave the drain open or closed.
Apologies for the post but it’s a must so I can continue my diving.

I have had a Urostomy fitted and would like to know from other similar divers if , when diving in a wet suit do you leave the drain open or closed.
Apologies for the post but it’s a must so I can continue my diving.
Sorry, very late to the conversation here... First, no apology necessary! If the drain valve was open, I would be concerned about water ingress into the stoma, which could lead to infection. Also, if the stoma is fresh, you'll want to ensure that the surgical site is fully healed before diving and clear it with your surgeon.

Depending on how much urine you're making, you may be able to use a smaller ostomy bag. They also make ostomy wraps to keep the wafer and bag secure against your body.

Best regards,
DDM

Sorry, very late to the conversation here... First, no apology necessary! If the drain valve was open, I would be concerned about water ingress into the stoma, which could lead to infection. Also, if the stoma is fresh, you'll want to ensure that the surgical site is fully healed before diving and clear it with your surgeon.

Depending on how much urine you're making, you may be able to use a smaller ostomy bag. They also make ostomy wraps to keep the wafer and bag secure against your body.

Best regards,
DDM
My surgeon told me if the stoma has healed completely, there is no risk of infection. Infection only occurs when there is an open wound. Leaving the valve open on a fully healed stoma is perfectly fine.

My surgeon told me if the stoma has healed completely, there is no risk of infection. Infection only occurs when there is an open wound. Leaving the valve open on a fully healed stoma is perfectly fine.
I think it would depend on the exact system the individual has. If there's air anywhere in the system, in theory that air could expand on ascent and lead to reflux of urine (or salt water if there's been a leak) into a pouch or other internal structure. If your surgeon is aware of the physics of diving and has said that to you, then I would defer to him/her.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom