Urchin Rocks/Northwest Island with Uncle Pug ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yesterday's dives were classic springtime in the P N Dub ... gorgeous weather, lousy vis. I hooked up with Uncle Pug at the Lowe's in Everett at 9:30 in the morning and headed for Rosario Beach, just a couple miles northwest of Deception Pass. Our destination ... Northwest Island ... a tiny island about a quarter-mile offshore from the beach. We had four 130's, a pair of Sierra's, and a plan ... and the weatherman had promised us a beautiful, sunny day with highs in the low '70's ... perfect.

Got to the dive site around 10:30 ... reconnoitered the area, and got ready for our first dive ... which we'd decided would be Urchin Rocks, a small spit of boulders that juts out into the south part of the little bay formed by the arc of the beach. Neither one of us had done this dive before, so it was a bit of an exploration dive. The Northwest Shore Dives book described it as a shallow reef.

Geared up, took a heading, and dropped down right off the beach for what should have been a scant few minutes run across the bay to the rocks. Vis was on the order of maybe 10 feet, but we had no difficulty seeing where we were going. After about 9 minutes I was beginning to get the idea that maybe we missed it ... by now we were at 45 fsw, and according to the book it wasn't supposed to be that deep. So I stopped and signaled to Ron that we should ascend to see where we were. Two minutes later we were on the surface, looking back at the bay ... and Urchin Rocks ... we'd skimmed right past the end of the reef and were on our way to Lopez Island. No problem, take a heading, drop back down and ... about 30 seconds later stumble onto a submerged reef that was just covered in clown dorids and vermillion and white sea cucumbers ...

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

We spent the next 40 minutes or so slowly making our way back along the boulders and ledges that comprise the reef. I also found out how the reef got its name ...

IMG_6885.jpg

Just before heading back I discovered what I at first took for a nudibranch ... but what proved to be some kind of flatworm ... or is that two flatworms? Or is it just some kind of confused worm with his head up his ... ???

IMG_6858.jpg

Ron's suit was leaking, so after a while he signaled it was time to go ... and off we went, back to the beach. Oddly, we didn't have any trouble navigating back ... we surfaced right in front of the trail we took from the car to the beach.

Surface interval ... a time to dry out, lounge around in the sun, eat lunch, kibbitz with some friendly people, and thoroughly enjoy being in the PNDub on a perfect spring day. Life is definitely good. But tides wait for no one, and before long it was time to head out to our prime destination of the day ... Northwest Island ...

IMG_6866.jpg

The bay going across in this direction is a bit more interesting than on the previous dive ... crabs, sea pens (LOTS of sea pens), and other critters made for an interesting 10-minute scoot out to the island. We arrived on the north side, which is shallow and rocky ... clipped the scoots off, pulled out our cameras, and started kicking out along the east side of the island, getting progressively steeper and deeper as we went.

This is a gorgeous reef, that gets prettier as you approach the south end of the island ... which is exposed to the currents that flush daily into and out of Deception Pass. I could feel the tug of current increasing as we got closed to the island's south end, and before long it was work to be able to stop and take a picture. But I was looking, in particular, for the colorful snakelock anemones that, in this region, often provide a home for candy-striped shrimp. And although the anemones were in abundance, I only found one candy-stripe shrimp ... and it was far too small for a picture in those conditions.

I did, however, find a rather large scaly lithodid crab guarding one of those anemones ... and it didn't seem interested in letting me in for a closer inspection ...

IMG_6892.jpg

But the prize of the day ... for me, at least ... was an abundance of tiny white dendronotid nudibranchs ... barely a centimeter or two in length ... clinging to the tips of hydroids waving furiously in the current.

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

At about 50 minutes, Ron signaled he was getting cold. Ah, I thought .... his suit's still leaking. We put away the cameras, unclipped the scoots, and headed back across the bay ... this time dead-reckoning mid-water as we stepped slowly shallower ... 3 minutes at 40, 3 minutes at 30, 3 minutes at 20 and suddenly there's the bottom. We followed the contours in only to discover we'd overshot our entry ... ah, but there's another trail. Hiking back up it proved more effort than we bargained for, but we managed to make it back to our picnic table, unload the gear and go back for the scooters.

Turned out Ron had a bit more than a leak ... he took off his suit, dumped the water out, peeled out of his Weezle, squeezed about two quarts of water out of it, and gave thanks for the fact that it was a warm, sunny day.

Overall though, a great day of diving ... and although I had done Northwest Island from a boat before, this was the first ... and definitely not the last ... time from shore by scooter. I can see a bunch of trips to Rosario in my future. All I'll need is a buddy with a scooter ... this has become my new favorite scooter shore dive in the P N Dub ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob is a great guy to dive with. We always have good dives and a lot of fun. Even soaking wet and mildly hypothermic I had a great time Saturday.

It was my first dive using an X scooter (thanks to Bob for arranging a loaner) and it sure is easier to pack down to the entry point than a Gavin. If I had clipped the front end off on my chest D-ring like Bob did it would have made the non-scooting part of the dive better. As it was, drifting along the wall with the scooter between my legs made *precision* finning more of a challenge.

This is a great dive site and we've done the outside of the NW Island from a boat before . While it could be done as a long swim shore dive, scooters made it very easy to get out to NW Island and back. Sit on Top kayaks would work well too except towing them during the drift part on the outside of the island would be interesting with any significant current. There is often significant current.

I checked my picture card last night and just as I thought, many soft abstractly colored smudges of unidentifiable objects (creatures?) Only one that I would call a keeper. It seems as though I'm getting fewer and fewer decent U/W pictures with my Pentax. Is it the camera that is getting old or is it me? I could have something to do with deteriorating skills I suppose. These days I'm use to an above water camera that snaps into focus and blasts away at 8 fps all the while changing focus as necessary. I have a hard time waiting for the Pentax Optio to decide if it wants to take a picture or not.

Actually it seems I had more than one in focus. These giant man earting barnacles are all over the outside wall.

NW_Island-2.jpg

NW_Island-1.jpg

Sounds like it was a great day. Awesome report and pics guys. :thumb:

Canon G10 w/ Fisheye FIX housing and dual Sea & Sea YS-110a strobes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Uncle Pug: I have done this as a shore dive. But I was younger then. I would like to do the dive again. Glad to see you are still at it. I did a couple of dives at Monterey last week, and a cool dive off San Juan Island before that. I plan on a boat trip out of Everett friday. I'm still diving, but not as much as when I was diving with you. Age has slowed me down. - oldsalt (Curt)

Howdy Curt ... I remember you. We did a dive together a few years back at Mukilteo.

Glad to see you're still diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Age has slowed me down. - oldsalt (Curt)
Bad zippers has slowed me down. Actually brought me to a screeching halt. I just can't handle multiple 60 minute dives with a drysuit full of cold water anymore.

Fortunately I found a decent shape zipper in one of my oldest suits ~ a Viking from the 80s. The suit disentigrated but the zip was salvageable.

Unfortunately it is 2.5" longer than the zip in my Andy's drysuit.

Fortunately I had the temerity to make the zip hole in the Andy's 2.5" bigger.

Unfortunately I'm still trying to figure out how to put a straight HD zipper into a curved hole.

But once I get it done (and I will) we must go diving again for old times sake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom