Updates on Fiesta Americana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have Hilton points to go there. We've been there when the beach was open and have considered going now. But we keep choosing elsewhere ... the idea of having to get a taxi and all that ... ugh. Vacation isn't supposed to be that challenging.

If the prices are adjusted down accordingly, that's one thing. But when I've searched they seem to be typical prices and I suspect a lot of people are getting misled or making the mistake of assuming a hotel on the beach is going to have the typical beach amenities you'd expect or that they once provided.

If the prices are adjusted down accordingly, that's one thing. But when I've searched they seem to be typical prices and I suspect a lot of people are getting misled or making the mistake of assuming a hotel on the beach is going to have the typical beach amenities you'd expect or that they once provided.
And on their website they show the restaurant that used to be open (the Cevicheria) as if it is still functioning.

We may still go there - to use our Hilton Grand Vacations points - knowing that we'll have to get a taxi to Fonatur. As long as they're paying for it I think I can deal with the inconvenience. I loved the room we got ( I think it's the King Suite - a bedroom with a full bath and a living/dining room with a full bath). I think of all the places I've stay in Cozumel, that room is my favorite (other than the time we stayed with friends in the Presidential Suite at Cozumel Palace - but that was a once in a lifetime thing). And I thought the food a FA was better than the Palace - fresher ingredients, IMO.

When we were there, there weren't very many divers staying on the property. Maybe the other guests really don't care about the beach being closed.

We have Hilton points to go there. We've been there when the beach was open...

Ditto. Our friends have switched to FA in Cancun.
Since the beach at FA Cozumel closed, we have just been diving elsewhere - Belize, Maldives, etc.

Last response on this was March of 2022. Any updates? When we were on the island last week it looked like the beach side of the resort is still closed down. Someone mentioned the parties are working it out through the legal system. Hard to believe this is still going on. I'd love to hear this has been worked out and will be open again soon.

Texted mi amigo just last week with same question and the beach area is still closed. Unfortunately no info on if/when that will change. I'll be there late Oct. and will be getting updates in Sept and Oct. prior to my trip.

I also contacted the hotel and they assured me that they will continue to pay for taxi to/from marina until their pier and beach are open.

Please remember to "remind" the office at the hotel that you will need a taxi to/from marina.

Texted mi amigo just last week with same question and the beach area is still closed. Unfortunately no info on if/when that will change. I'll be there late Oct. and will be getting updates in Sept and Oct. prior to my trip.

I also contacted the hotel and they assured me that they will continue to pay for taxi to/from marina until their pier and beach are open.

Please remember to "remind" the office at the hotel that you will need a taxi to/from marina.
I'm happy to hear they're still paying for taxis to/from the marina. It's hard to believe this is still unsettled! I've heard local residents say that there are 'families' that just have so much money that they aren't motivated to sell tracts of land - they don't need the money so they sit on it. I wonder about spots like the empty lot between El Cantil and the restaurant next to it (Rolandi's?). It's just rubble - and has been that way for as long as I can remember. Maybe one of the families owns that and doesn't care to do anything about it?

We may end up going to FA again, even with the beach closed, simply because we have RCI points to use and we get a great room when we go there.

I'm happy to hear they're still paying for taxis to/from the marina. It's hard to believe this is still unsettled! I've heard local residents say that there are 'families' that just have so much money that they aren't motivated to sell tracts of land - they don't need the money so they sit on it. I wonder about spots like the empty lot between El Cantil and the restaurant next to it (Rolandi's?). It's just rubble - and has been that way for as long as I can remember. Maybe one of the families owns that and doesn't care to do anything about it?

We may end up going to FA again, even with the beach closed, simply because we have RCI points to use and we get a great room when we go there.
If FA can stay full in spite of having no access to the water, what is their motivation to negotiate with whomever is on the other side of whatever the issue is?

There is full access to the water - there are no amenities available beachside (no restaurants, loungers, bars, washrooms, or pier access which is a killer for divers).

There are two issues. One is a tax bill from when they remodeled till they were shut down - many years, plus fines, interest, etc. The second is at least one serious environmental violation. This is what's keeping them shut down as it's going to take a significant investment to remedy. The parent company (Grupo Posadas) recently emerged from Chapter 11 so they unlikely have the resources, or desire, to invest heavily in one of their smallest properties... Particularly when it's still operating at or near capacity. Shame, as FA / Explorean has been our go to resort since the remodel. We've stayed a couple of times during the closure of their beach amenities and we weren't too put off by anything except having to lug gear back and forth in cabs to the marina vs being picked up at the resort pier. As the chief gear lugger, it may have bothered me more than it did my wife :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom