Update on Brac Beach and Cobalt Coast Resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StumpyIguana.jpg
Those of you that have stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort will remember Stumpy the Iguana who used to greet guests outside the dining room every morning. Sadly, Stumpy was killed yesterday by a careless driver.

It's with sincere sadness we share news... - Little Cayman Beach Resort | Facebook

Last edited:
There's a new combined website (at least it's new to me) for all 3 of the Tibbetts (JEM) resort properties, see the link below. Right now they are offering a bunch of 5 night specials. I wonder if they are going to start offering special deals on 2-island trips? Why not?!

Clearly Cayman

Last edited:
Review of shore diving at Cobalt Coast with Reef Divers

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1006573-d224207-r391481224-Cobalt_Coast_Grand_Cayman_Resort-West_Bay_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Reviewing the shore diving only - still great diving, new operator maybe more focused on boat diving now

3 of 5 stars

Reviewed yesterday

We've been shore diving off of Cobalt Coast for years, and were interested to see what the new dive operation would be like. They are certainly friendly and professional and were happy to provide Nitrox tanks for us, but we got the feeling that shore divers are not a priority (this is totally fine, of course, but I'd like to focus on it a bit in case others are interested in this aspect of Cobalt Coast.) So, a few things we noticed:

What was once a bustling spot full of divers coming and going is now quite desolate. On at least one occasion we were the only ones there, and we never saw more than a handful of other divers (or even other people just having lunch.) This could be due to the fact that most people here are on week-long packages and might have been out on the dive boats (all day?), but we've never seen it so empty in nearly 20 years! It was off-putting to be essentially the only ones getting geared up.

The biggest change was the reduction in benches to set up gear - there is now only a single one-sided bench available, which can probably accommodate a maximum of 5 or so divers comfortably. A far cry from the multiple benches of years past.

The buoys and underwater lines leading the way to the mini-wall and deep wall are no longer there (though we could have just missed them.) Not a big issue for us since we know the site very well, but maybe a further detractor to shore diving for new people.

The dive shop preferred to not have us leave a tab open, as we do with the other operations we dive with. Again not a huge issue, but a slight inconvenience.

On the whole, it just felt very different and a bit strange from the perspective of die-hard shore divers. We didn't go out on the boats and didn't stay at the resort (we own a timeshare elsewhere on the island) so I can't speak to the valet diving experience. Given the friendliness of the dive staff, I'm sure it's great. And of course the location can't be beat if you aren't a fan of crowds and noise!

Stayed July 2016, traveled with family

Divemaster Jeff is leaving Brac for Cobalt Coast Reef Divers on Grand Cayman. We dived with him and Barb the last time we were on Brac and they were both great, we wish him the best!

Cayman Brac Beach Resort - Timeline | Facebook

SCUBADADA:
What prevented you from shore diving?

Sea conditions off the resort. I believe, because of most northerly location, the shore diving at Cobalt Coast is most prone to being affected by sea conditions as compared to Lighthouse Point or Turtle Reef. Until Divetech left Cobalt Coast, there was the option to dive at the resort or at Lighthouse Point. In the more distant past, Divetech ran the shore diving at Turtle Reef, predating Sun Divers

Reading a little more, it looks like they get blown out quite a bit. I saw one post that said maybe only 4 - 5 months per year (give or take) allow good shore diving from CC. Not sure if that is accurate but seems like some serious waves. What is January like onhe northern end of GC?

Reading a little more, it looks like they get blown out quite a bit. I saw one post that said maybe only 4 - 5 months per year (give or take) allow good shore diving from CC. Not sure if that is accurate but seems like some serious waves. What is January like onhe northern end of GC?
It will be windy 5 of 7 days on the North side. The other two will be epic days of diving. It doesn't matter what time of year. I have had a week of calm weather in February, and a week of wind in July. Just go around to the calm side if it's windy. Personally, I like the windier, wavier conditions. Everyone stays at the bar and the big fish come in. Although I did get pounded on the Iron ore a couple months ago and the wounds have just now healed. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom