Update on Blue Hole Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't have a huge amount of info to share, but I did talk to a friend of mine who works for the US Army Corps of Engineers yesterday (and is somewhat involved in the project) and got some new info. Nothing is set in stone yet, but here were some of the general comments:

-The outflow area where the water drains in to the ditch may be moved to a different location. There was talk of moving the outflow drain to a different location and incorporating some type of little waterfall in the new location as well.
-There was also talk of either widening the existing stairs and/or adding a second set of stairs. This will help with the congestion when entering/exiting the hole, especially at peak times where there are swimmers and large scuba classes getting in and out.
-There are also plans to add some kind of "swim-in" entrance for scuba divers. This would be a separate area with a concrete type channel (not real sure of all the specifics on this) along with a large area with benches for divers to assemble and put on their gear. The idea being that divers would have another place to get set up, get into the water right near the setup area, and then swim a short distance into the Hole, bypassing the need to use the separate stairs to get in and out.
-The new diveshop/visitors center/staging area building is in the plans, and it appears to coincide with the tear-down of the existing building, since it looks like the footprint of the new building covers the location of the existing building. It looks like this will include some type of indoor area, possibly new locker rooms, with a walk-out that leads right to the new divers staging area I mentioned in item 3.
-There was also mention of making changes to the parking lot. Nothing specific on it it will be paved or not. It sounded like mostly cosmetic changes, landscaping, making it more "park-like", and those kinds of things. This might fit in partially with the what the city had in its business plan to make the area more attractive to non-divers also, maybe some walking trails, etc.
-As for underwater changes, the only thing that I have heard of is some work to help secure some of the side walls and rocks. It sounded like there was some talk in the past of using some of that metal mesh they use like in landslide areas to help secure some areas, but it sounds like that idea has been nixed. As of now they are thinking of using rock bolts (some type of big bolt anchors) to secure some of the areas that are most at risk of moving, collapsing, etc.

It looks like the timeframe for alot of this is going to be this summer. According to the USACE, they are try to time these changes to be completed this summer, and most of their work is to come after the new building is in place. If this is true, it means that we should see the new building started soon, atleast by the end of spring.
Of course all of this could change at any moment, but that is the plan for now. This is only the USACE's part in this, there are many other entities involved who could be planning on more changes than I have listed here.

I also have this listed here:
http://jasonmh.spaces.live.com

Thanks for the information Jason. It's nice to know that Santa Rosa is actually trying to accomplish some of improvements that have been suggested. :)

They're changing things??? How is that possible?? :confused:

Great info Jason! That took awhile to type out, thanks for the update.

Maybe we'll get some of those whiney Colorado divers down more often after the improvements..........:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Whiney Colorado divers?:huh:
All that work will really make for some turbid water.
Sounds like its going to be a lot more expensive now. I'm guessing that they won't let my dogs come there and hang out in the parking lot with me. It may be impossible to get fills for awhile. Its sure going to be a pain with all the heavy equipment in there. I'll probably get dust all over my gear. Its still really far away. Are they going to add a light rail system up to Denver? Its not going to be the same anymore. Will they do something about the mosquitos? Do I need to continue to be lectured about the superiority of BP/W systems? I'll bet hotel rates go up.:mooner::D

Divedoggie:
... Do I need to continue to be lectured about the superiority of BP/W systems? ..
Where are those lectures held, I must have missed them :D

Jasonmh:
Where are those lectures held, I must have missed them :D

How could you miss the lectures. I hear it everytime I go there.

Thanks for the info. I keep hearing about changes but so far the only ones I have seen is watching the building fall apart. :(

If you have read the business plans (which were posted a while back, and it's one HUGE doc) much of what Jason is saying is in those plans. They already have something like 2Million collected for this, so yes, it's likely much of what was proposed will get done.

What was way up in the air were longer term goals, huge convention type facilities, and if the budget was adequate for what they were attempting which could drastically change the amount of work they do.

The plan was to put in a pool, and make that a staging area for classes with access to the Hole. Sounds like they are working on part of that now.

What is not real clear is what do people do in the meantime while all this is going on? Is there going to be air? Will the facility be open?

Another thing that was somewhat confusing was the fee structure... no surprise there! :mooner:

Well, I dive it less in the summer, and more in the winter, so for my selfish BH plans, summer construction sounds great! :D

Thanks for the info Jason, and keep us in the loop if you hear more!

I'd like to get down there in Feb if god (errrr Dan) is willing.

Back
Top Bottom