Update: Now I Have a Personal Carbon Monoxide Monitor/Tester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
My previous thread about this failed as that model was no longer available, and would cost twice as much as this one if again produced. For the record, I am not receiving any commissions or other benefits on the sale of these; I just think it is an affordable idea whose time has come...

I just got a phone call from the company who offers the CO monitor/tester I have decided on: Detect Carbon Monoxide with extensive information on the various pages there. Shipments are finally being started on the Model 300 with user replaceable batteries, 24/7 monitoring option - that I will certainly use at least on all trips, and can even be user calibrated. For tank testing, it will take a little longer than with Nitrox testers, as one must allow flow from a cracked tank for at least 2 minutes, or place the device in a plastic bag, expel all air, then fill partially from tank and tie closed, waiting at least 90 seconds. To avoid false alerts in other uses, it does not react to less than 5 ppm, but from there measures in 1 ppm to 500. If I get 5 ppm, I'd be hesitant; if I get 10 or more, I'd be looking for a new operator ASAP.

Who knows how many tropical scuba deaths are written off as "drowning" with the tank and body never being tested for CO? I'm sending this device with my local dive shop to Utila next week for my Tech Instructor to try out. To me, it seems like a prudent idea to any traveling diver, anywhere - more so in less developed destinations...

$139 plus shipping...
pocketco-keychain.jpg

Excerpted from Alert Diver Article
CO Monitors - a carbon monoxide detector can save your life
May / June 1998 Issue, By: Robert N. Rossier

“Most states and municipalities do not require testing of a diver's air in the event of a fatality. The autopsy findings of a drowning victim are non-specific, and the presumed cause of death is often based on circumstantial evidence. Routine toxicological studies performed at autopsy do not include a measure of CO blood or tissue levels. Unless CO poisoning is suspected, usually no tests are made to determine levels in the body or the amount in the diver's breathing-gas cylinder. These facts point to the question of how many other diving fatalities might actually involve CO poisoning as a contributing factor.”

DAN members may login to see the entire article here: Divers Alert Network : Alert Diver Articles

For a possible dive to 130 ft, breathing almost at 5 ATA - more if the need for a great depth is needed for some reason, I think that a diver could view 10 ppm as the same as 50 on the chart below. Or, referring to Compress Gas Assn Grade E limits for scuba air: 10 ppm is the maximum allowed.…

COchart.jpg

Last edited:
whats the ballpark cost for this?

edit: nevermindI saw on the link you provided that it's about $139

whats the ballpark cost for this?

edit: nevermindI saw on the link you provided that it's about $139
Sorry, I thot I had included that. Edited in, thanks! $139 plus shipping.

I'm going to stick this in, too - even tho not directly related...
[c]
Welcome Aboard Toxic Airlines

[/c]

Last edited:
i wonder what reading will we get if tested with cigarette smoke?!

DandyDon,

I think you take a forward-thinking approach here and raise an issue that hardly gets any attention usually. I think the discussion about the danger from CO poisoning is needed and want to thank you for bringing this up. However, I am concerned about your reasoning about concentration at depth. I do not believe you can equal a CO concentration of 10 ppm at 5 atm to 50 ppm. Keep in mind that unlike partial pressure, the concentration of a gas does not change with depth. If my tank is contaminated with 10 ppm of CO, it doesn't matter what partial pressure I am breathing the gas at. I will always expose myself to 10ppm. Yes, I may breathe 5 times the amount of gas at 5 atm compared to 1 atm, but in relation to all the other gases in the mix, CO will still remain at 10 ppm. As you know, the toxicity of CO results from its competition with oxygen for binding sites on the hemoglobin molecule. This process is reversible and is directly proportional to the concentration of gases present. Hemoglobin has a much higher affinity for CO than for oxygen, which accounts for its toxicity. However, since the process is reversible, an increase of oxygen concentration relative to the concentration of CO will result in the oxygen competing with the CO molecules, allowing fewer of them to bind to hemoglobin. This is why CO intoxication, if detected early, can relatively easily be reversed by administration of 100 percent oxygen. The oxygen molecules "flush" the CO molecules out. Since the relative amounts of gas molecules in your tank remain the same, and the toxicity mechanism is dependent on molecule concentrations, partial pressure has no effect. Therefore, I doubt that it is legitimate to translate higher partial pressures into higher concentrations.

That said, I still think this topic merits more attention and your suggestion of testing tanks for CO is a step in the right direction.

oh; BTW datasheet says its heart is electrochemical transducer, but cannot find info about what is the transducer life?

Thanks pteranodon. I have edited this into post #1...

Or, referring to Compress Gas Assn Grade E limits for scuba air: 10 ppm is the maximum allowed.

oh; BTW datasheet says its heart is electrochemical transducer, but cannot find info about what is the transducer life?
The instrument can be returned to the manufacture if needed...
Calibration of Pocket CO is recommended at least yearly to ensure accurate readings, or whenever the accuracy of the reading is critical. Calibration can be done though KWJ's TechCheck service, or by using the Home Calibration Kit (Model 300 only). The Home Calibration Kit is safe and easy to use, and takes just minutes. It is available for $39, and can be purchased on our Order page.

KWJ TechCheck Service:

KWJ's TechCheck service is an easy way to perform the recommended yearly calibration. For $79, this service includes a full inspection of your instrument, calibration and testing, new battery, firmware update, and new CO sensor element if needed.

The bottom line is this thing could have saved lives a few months ago. Wondering if the Dive Operations that fill tanks should spot check with these devices.

The bottom line is this thing could have saved lives a few months ago. Wondering if the Dive Operations that fill tanks should spot check with these devices.
The Maldives accidents with one death come to mind, but as DAN says, we don't know how many happen really.

Compressors should have inline monitors with auto shut-offs, and Padi requires quarterly testing by accredited laboratories, but the latter is not enforce and seldom complied with - who knows about the monitors. How many divers ask about such, ask to inspect the compressor...?

Here is what a test analysis looks like. http://www.fantasyislandresort.com/buceo/507931.pdf I wonder if they have tested since...?

Back
Top Bottom