Upcoming Dive and Travel Expo.. worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeledgoat

Covid Vaccinated
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've never been to the annual Dive Expo even though I see the billboard every year.

This is what I'm talking about if you don't know:
http://ourworldunderwater.com/chicago

Anyone been to this? Is it worth going? The website doesn't say much....

We have been going to this show for decades and we really enjoy it. It helps to kick start our dive vacation planning. It was held at the Stevens convention center for a long time, but this year it will be at the Marriott - so I don't know if the show has changed. We usually just go one day for the exhibits. We are looking forward to it!

I went to my first one in Dallas a couple of weeks ago. Lot's of outfitters and live boards. I was hopping to see dive gear and latest innovations, I was disappointed. A couple of LDS did a great job. I did not attend any seminars, spoke with some people that attended several and they were glad they went. One of the LDS was having a discover scuba event, thought it was a great idea and I hopeful that they had a good turn out.
I probably wont attend next year, but will make it every two to three years. I hope more gear manufacturers show up and demonstrate their new gear!

... Is it worth going? ....

OWUW is a great show!

But the real value of any regional show is the people and other divers that you meet. This alone will almost double your yearly dives because you'll be sharing things that interest you with others. Like meeting someone who does several local group dives and invites you along "now that you've met face to face". Most people can make a decision in less than 3 minutes of talking if they like that person and would enjoy doing activities with them and other similarly minded folks.

Search ScubaBoard for the show's social events and show up to them. Ask other divers what they saw that they liked. In 2018, you very likely will double the amount of diving you did last year just by meeting new divers.

Just reporting back, we did go on Sunday and it was good! Went to a couple seminars, liked em. Mostly I liked learning first hand about some small off the beaten path destinations - places that are hungry for some tourism and small enough to provide a nice, non-cattle-like experience. Also picked up some used fins for a song. nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom