Unusual Things That You've Found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A dead person. Searching for a cadaver in 17 feet of water with zero vis is no picnic...
Back in wyoming there was no-where to dive that wasn't done by the braille method. I waited until I moved to Florida to learn scuba. Some of the guys I spoke with said you usually find the body when your arm gets stuck in the chest cavity. Fun!

"Nathan Doty, post: 9224386, member: 481805"]Back in wyoming there was no-where to dive that wasn't done by the braille method. I waited until I moved to Florida to learn scuba. Some of the guys I spoke with said you usually find the body when your arm gets stuck in the chest cavity. Fun! "

And people wonder why us Public Safety Divers NEVER remove a cadaver from the water that is not first placed in a underwater rated body bag. Trying to pull an un-bagged cadaver into the boat by its arms (or, God forbid, its head!) never ends well. Guaranteed to be a not soon forgotten spectacle for the onlookers....

Searching a river for a weapon used in a crime. The side we started on was very silty and had lots of fallen trees and limbs (very difficult search for a relatively small object). After our first dive we were discussing among the divers our "confidence" level that the area could be considered clear (it wasn't great), the deputies overheard us and were pretty upset that THEY were wasting their time. As we walk back up the trail to exchange tanks we heard some commotion and a gunshot. Upon our return with fresh tanks, they happily informed us that it wasn't a complete waste of time because they got some target practice at a snake swimming down the river. :poke: ..Seriously?

Next dive I hit the channel and it turns into a fairly nice pebble and slate bottom with relatively fantastic vis. We get done searching, and one of the deputies makes a smart remark once again about wasting his time. I reach in my BC pocket and throw the freshly shot bullet he fired at the snake in his lap.

It was glorious.

Get back in the truck, my buddy stares a hole through me and asks, how in the world I found that. I told him it was sitting on a large smooth piece of slate, glistening like a flare in the sunlight. Apparently his second dive missed the channel.

Definitely not the most unusual or coolest thing I've ever found, but I enjoy thinking back about it every time people ask me a question like this.

Our Patrol Sargeant was also the Dive Master for our dive team. If any of our Deputies ever pulled a stunt like those two did, I suspect they would have faced swift and severe disciplinary action.

Was cool you found the bullet! I guess you could consider those two deputies "schooled". :)

Our Patrol Sargeant was also the Dive Master for our dive team. If any of our Deputies ever pulled a stunt like those two did, I suspect they would have faced swift and severe disciplinary action.

Was cool you found the bullet! I guess you could consider those two deputies "schooled". :)

This was a mutual aid call from a surrounding (very small) county that didn't have a dive team. It was one of those situations where it was suspected that the inmate just wanted to take a ride in a patrol car to point out the dump location... they didn't send their shining star deputies down there to watch us play in the river. . lol

This was a mutual aid call from a surrounding (very small) county that didn't have a dive team. It was one of those situations where it was suspected that the inmate just wanted to take a ride in a patrol car to point out the dump location... they didn't send their shining star deputies down there to watch us play in the river. . lol

I'll bet they were Corrections Deputies that were (ahem) "certified" to carry sidearms. LOL.

"Nathan Doty, post: 9224386, member: 481805"]Back in wyoming there was no-where to dive that wasn't done by the braille method. I waited until I moved to Florida to learn scuba. Some of the guys I spoke with said you usually find the body when your arm gets stuck in the chest cavity. Fun! "

And people wonder why us Public Safety Divers NEVER remove a cadaver from the water that is not first placed in a underwater rated body bag. Trying to pull an un-bagged cadaver into the boat by its arms (or, God forbid, its head!) never ends well. Guaranteed to be a not soon forgotten spectacle for the onlookers....

That made me giggle. One more thing to discuss with my therapist.

I'm ex-LE. I never had to dive for a body obviously, but had to deal with quite a few on land. I've got stories to say the least. The most valuable tool for dealing with one was your memory. Specifically you had to remember if there was a rookie working and what his FTO's badge number was...

LOL.. speaking of knives...

But finding the gun was fun. Dumb crooks didn't know they tossed the gun over the bridge into what is probably the most dived location in South Florida!!
Dumb cops.. No. Cops aren't dumb. Just the ones that took the gun.. One guy lost his job over it, I hear..

This looks like a plot point in a Carl Hiaasen novel...

Found a revolver in a Lake/Sink Hole in Winter Park/Orlando, FL

This looks like a plot point in a Carl Hiaasen novel...
Considering Hiaasen is from Miami, he has plenty of fodder for his novels..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom