Unusual experience defies explanation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, I tried DAN and they had no explanation. Let's see if any of the medical minds in this forum can come through. Please read through to the end--that's where it gets strange.

About 8 times a year I join a group of divers in a 3 day technical diving weekend. It requires a lot of hauling and handling of a lot of tanks, including heavy steel doubles. I myself have to walk to and from entry points a number of times wearing steel 108 doubles and all the related gear. At the end of the 3 day weekend, I sometimes find my hands falling asleep on the wheel as I drive, and I have to shake my hand to get the feeling back, which is usually not that hard. After a trip that is particularly bad, I have trouble with my hands falling asleep at night, especially on the side on which I am sleeping. This can happen during the day, too. I shake my hands to get things going again, and everything is fine. After a bad trip, it can take 3-4 days for this to gradually go away. I have always assumed this was the result of the damage I did to my body carrying all that weight over the weekend.

This past weekend was unusual in that I had my first incident early, on the second night, following two deco dives and a lot of scootering (which might be important). It happened at night, and only to my right arm. It was particularly bad, and it took a long time to shake it out when it happened. The next day everything was fine until it was my turn to drive that evening, when, again, I had a lot of trouble with my right hand falling asleep, and I had a lot of trouble getting it to wake up. That night it happened a lot, even though I never slept on that side.

The next morning I had the problem reading the morning paper. Again it was very, very hard to shake it off. Suddenly, though, I felt a flood of feeling and everything was perfect--totally perfect. The symptoms were instantly gone, and they did not return in even the slightest way again. I went from really bad to totally cured in seconds.

Any explanation would be wonderful.

Oh, I have hands fall asleep from time to time like everyone. The general circumstances I described only follow dive trips. The sudden recovery I described has only happened this once.

Considering that you are describing the same symptoms I have, I would guess you have degenerated discs in your cervical spine. The pressure of the doubles on your shoulders compresses and further herniates the disc(s), putting pressure on the nerves which manifests as hands going to sleep.

Check your posture when you drive - is your head directly over your shoulders, or do you tend to jut it forward? Move to place the back of your head against the restraint.

While an X-ray can give an indicator, an MRI or CT scan is the best way to tell. Unfortunately, your insurance will want you to go through an X-ray, a period of NSAIDs, and Physical Therapy before authorizing an MRI.

The sudden recovery is from a fortunate move that allowed or forced the disc back into place, allowing the pressure to come off of the nerve.

If you want more info, PM me, I'll tell you what the PT taught me. If it works for you, you have the issue pinpointed. Good luck getting through the hoops to have it confirmed.

I also have chronic Cervical Radiculopathy/Pinched Nerve Syndrome as well . . .you might want to get a work-up for that.

How about extending your deco segments out longer, say 20 to 30% ? Relax those limbs, but flex and shake 'em out as well at times during the deco stops.

I have a dive buddy with a chronically inflamed/arthritic left rotator-cuff, and extending the O2 stop longer seem to alleviate prior instances of swelling and joint pain post-dive --especially if working the left shoulder hard while manipulating deco/stage bottles at depth.

Cervical Disc Herniation-Topic Overview

What are the symptoms?

Herniated discs in the neck (cervical spine) can cause pain, numbness, or weakness in the neck, shoulders, chest, arms, and hands. In some cases a very large herniated disc in the neck may cause weakness or unusual tingling affecting other parts of the body, including the legs.

How is cervical disc herniation diagnosed?

A doctor usually can diagnose a herniated disc from your history of symptoms and a physical examination. Your doctor will ask about pain and numbness that might be caused by irritation of one or more of the nerves in the cervical spine. If your symptoms suggest a cervical herniated disc, rest and rehabilitation often are recommended before further testing is done. If other conditions are suspected, or if there is no improvement in symptoms after a period of rest and rehabilitation, imaging tests such as X-ray, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or computerized tomography (CT scan) may be done.

I tend to agree with Jax on this. About 10 years ago I got into a fight with a vending machine. The Dorito's got stuck in the curly Q thingy and wouldn't drop. I pushed up and back on the machine in an attempt to rock it and instantly got a jolt of what felt like 220v going through my body.

Soon after, I started having tingling in both arms from an area below the elbow and down through the index finger and both thumbs. I am a DUMB ASS! I never did anything about it. It seemed to go away, but I would get the exact symptoms you describe after extreme physical exertion (was not back into diving at the time, so cannot comment on that specifically) and sometimes when I layed in a certian position in the bed.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago and while getting out of bed one morning I sort of paused on the balls of my feet and my legs start shaking....like sewing machine leg.....for those of you who also do any rock climbing. Long story short, went to a Neurologist and had all the fun tests and ultimately found that I needed a C5 - C7 fusion. The damage I had done earlier coupled with some calcification in those discs were causing sort of a constriction and my leg muscles were degenerating. The leg shaking will never go away(some permanent nerve damage), but it should not get any worse. I now work out again and take better care of myself, but I do very much regret not going to the doc when it first happened.

Do you remember ever having hurt yourself that may be causing this? A GP can do some basic diagnostic stuff in the office (mine did) and then make a refferral to a neuro if required.

Just my .02 PSI. Good luck with it and I would be truly interested in hearing what you find out.

J.

Based on my personal experience, Jax is on the money here. I get tingly hands in certain positions, and I have to adjust to get the feeling back. In my case it's a result of multiple whiplash injuries, one of which left me in traction and a second of which paralyzed my lower arms from just below the elbow for several hours. I drive with my seat almost vertical and have to adjust it if somebody has driven my car and tilted it back because the head thrust that's necessary to keep eyes front when your back is angled away from the steering wheel pinches the nerve bundle. I have an awful time getting my hair washed at the hair salon in those sinks that tip your head way back. My arms always fall asleep in that position.

John, maybe you should try side-mount rather than doubles--that might change the way your spine reacts to the weight of the gear. At the very least, spend as little time as you possibly can walking around with the doubles on your back, especially if you have uneven terrain to cross that might cause the muscles to shift the position of the vertebrae.

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome?

had all the fun tests and ultimately found that I needed a C5 - C7 fusion

I find this particularly interesting, as I also have C5-C7 trouble, but unlike you I have never had surgery. When I first had the problem, which was extremely severe at that time (I was totally immobilised for days) surgery that high in the spine wasn't performed as it was too dangerous. I was plugged into a variety of machines in a research hospital for three days and articles were published about my case. Since surgery wasn't an option I had to learn how to fend off another attack and how to recognise the beginnings of one, so I could immediately stop whatever I was doing to provoke it. Although surgery would now be possible I've learned to live with and manage it, and I won't have surgery.

Back on the hand tingling, I agree exactly with what Jax said. I've had it myself, and given my history of spinal problems I knew exactly what to do to make the symptoms go away - and they did. Spinal problems are at the root of many of the aches and pains so many of us just put up with. As my research neurosurgeon told me, the spine is very delicate and if people realised just how fragile it is they wouldn't play silly games like rugby and soccer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom