Unusual experience defies explanation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

john
i have a bit of uncle arthur in my neck(hanging sheetrock in younger years)
hands were doing the same
xrays showed problem-doctor is also a diver so was aware of outlying probs
i was happy with the diagnosis-relieved i wasn't having strokes and such!!!
turn neck just right and problem resolves itself
good luck!!!
merry christmas from canton
yaeg

I have two collapsed disks, C6 and C7. I also have a bone spur in there somewhere. Initial symptoms were pain from my left forearm into my hand. My orthopedic surgeon performed an MRI and diagnosed the problem. I was given an epidural spinal injection to relieve the swelling and pressure on the nerves. This was done about 4 years ago and my only continuing problems are numbness in my left thumb, index, and middle finger. Sometimes, the pain returns and after a couple of ibuprofen, it goes away fairly quickly. The surgeon recommended that surgery be delayed as long as possible because fusing vertebrae can cause the vertebrae next to the fused ones to deteriorate. I like surgeons that don't recommend surgery as the first alternative.
Interestingly enough, while I am diving, the numbness goes away. I think because the pressure on my spine is relieved while I am horizontal and neutrally buoyant.

All interesting ideas. John, if I remember right you're a pretty active guy. Does this happen after exercising or exerting yourself in any other way? You mentioned typing on a computer a lot... do your hands fall asleep after a long time at the keyboard?

All interesting ideas. John, if I remember right you're a pretty active guy. Does this happen after exercising or exerting yourself in any other way? You mentioned typing on a computer a lot... do your hands fall asleep after a long time at the keyboard?

This is pretty much dive related only.

This conversation reminds me, though, that nearly 15 years ago I was experiencing pain in the neck and had an X-ray. It revealed some damage that I cannot remember well enough to describe here. It also revealed bone spurs that could interfere with nerve functions. The pain went away mysteriously and I had forgotten all about it.

college related hoot owl injury at st. lawrence perhaps????
worrisome that it only happens after diving only
hope you get it figured out
merry christmas
yaeg

college related hoot owl injury at st. lawrence perhaps????
worrisome that it only happens after diving only
hope you get it figured out
merry christmas
yaeg

Perhaps--there were moments at St. Lawrence that I can only vaguely remember at best! Right now, in the dead of winter, I am recalling the bobsled run we made off the second floor of the ATO house and negotiated on cafeteria trays. Things that seemed like a good idea at the time don't seem so wise with the benefit of more mature hindsight.

The "only happening while diving" is not that worrisome to me, as there are characteristics of the dive experience (as described in this thread) that are not repeated in any other of my activities. For example, I abused my body mightily over the years with skiing, volleyball, and other sports, but I do none of those any more.

I agree with TSandM, the symptoms you describe all point to a carpal tunnel syndrome. Tha fact that the numbness is limited to the first 3 fingers is the median nerve territory, the night symptoms are typical of CTS and it's common to have more severe symptoms after physical work. As an orthopod I see cases like these every week... Nerve conduction studies would give you the exact answer though...

A cervical disk disease generally causes less specific symptoms.

Night wrist splints might help, maybe a steroids injection in the carpal tunnel or a simple surgery could relieve your symptoms... Ask your doctor though, can't be sure if I can't examine you!

Hope this helps

Thanks for jumping in NorthO, glad to know we have an orthopod here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom