Unsolicited diving stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trick is that each time she tells you one of the diving horror stories, tell her a horror story. I'd start out with the one where the person driving her make of car died a horrible death due to that ignition switch recall. Then there was that time the lady with shoes *just like those* got the heel, laces, whatever caught in an escalator and had to have her leg surgically rebuilt. Oh, and that person who tried the perfume only to discover too late that she was deathly allergic to it (and the anaphylactic response she had to it). :wink:

I like your idea alot!!

I can not even begin to tell you how many times people (non divers) told me to watch out for the Stingrays right after the Croc Hunter was killed. :shakehead:

Yeah, I love the way non-divers seems to think they know about some diving related danger which you won't have heard of...

Man, I know what you mean about the guys who keep relating their morbid dive stories.

Like the guy I knew who keep telling me of the one time when a huge shark came out of no where and ....

Kidding. ;-)

The important thing to remember is not her reaction to the stories...who cares whether she's scared out of her wits over over-blown stories of events-gone-wrong...the important thing is for you to remember that despite these stories, SCUBA diving is a very safe sport and an absolute blast.

Sure, bad things can happen on a dive. But bad things can happen getting mail out of the box down the street. So many people on this board have literaly hundreds if not thousands of dives more than I, but what I've figured out so far is if you:

1. Make sure your equipment is properly serviced and you inspected it before each dive.
2. Dive only within the limits of your training and experience (or with your instructor during BOW)
3. Listen and act upon that little voice in your head that says, "Hmm...no, I don't think that's smart"
4. Obey the trifecta SCUBA rules of don't hold your breath, ascend slowly, watch your guages.
5. React to any little "surprise" by thinking before acting.

...you're going to have a great and safe dive.

For what it's worth...

Jan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom