Unsolicited diving stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lahalbo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok. I am working on getting my OW certification. I'm kind of nervous but I am in it for the long haul and am getting a little more comfortable each time in the pool (2 times so far). haha

Anyway, I work with a lady that insists on telling me every diving horror story she can think of. Unsolicited by me of course.

Why do people feel the need to tell you these things when they hear you are taking lessons?

Everyone one of her stories of someone dying while diving is not due to any malfunction or anything: 1-a man had a heart attack while diving, 2-the recent story on dateline of the newlywed woman who died while diving - apparently the husband is a suspect...

Anyway it bugs the crap out of me. I have even gotten to the point that I don't make any mention to her about it because I know she will have something negative to say about it (as she does everything).

Just wanted to vent!! :yelling:

People who don't seem to be enjoying life will always have a need to convince others they should not enjoy it either. Pay attention to your own desires...and pay attention to your instructor. If you are getting more comfortable each time you dive, then diving is for you. Very soon it becomes so blissful you'll be smiling at her stories thinking "If only you knew how great life is down there...". (Opps, almost gave away the secret.) Welcome to SB! :eyebrow: // ww

The trick is that each time she tells you one of the diving horror stories, tell her a horror story. I'd start out with the one where the person driving her make of car died a horrible death due to that ignition switch recall. Then there was that time the lady with shoes *just like those* got the heel, laces, whatever caught in an escalator and had to have her leg surgically rebuilt. Oh, and that person who tried the perfume only to discover too late that she was deathly allergic to it (and the anaphylactic response she had to it). :wink:

Tell her stories of bad automobile accidents in retaliation :)

Just tell her that you don't want to hear anymore of her stories. Simple. It is possible to do that without hurting any feelings.

when I was learning to dive back in the 80s in Socal, everyone I talked to had a horror story about divers becoming entangled in kelp and drowning only to be found by the storyteller's good friend who used to dive. You would think the offshore kelp beds had more bodies than Forest Lawn to hear these stories. The people telling these stories want to be the center of attention, as someone once describe "the bride at every wedding, the corpse at every funeral..." One grows to ignore these stories. You seem to have a friend who is afraid that someone, somewhere is having fun that he or she is not the cause of.

Back
Top Bottom