Unsafe Cancun dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove in the Caverns (cenotes) with lief in 2005 and would say he is extremely knowledgable about cavern diving, loved his job and gave the most indepth dive brief I have ever heard. Nice guy and if anyone is going to Cancun I would recommend that you dive with him.

I dove the cenotes with Leif also, I agree 100% and he is a real kick in the butt.

Just remembered something that lief said to me, he said you should become an instructor as soon as you can, and I took his advice and havent regretted it for a moment, as I have left the UK and started a business and loving it so far.

Lief, If you read this, thanks a lot dude, there are people I have met in this business that love their job so much, that your passion transmits to others and becomes infectious. For the record the other people that have inspired me are Steve Prior (Course Director) and Jane Stevens (Adventures in Diving, UK) Here are three people that have a true love of their job, that is an amazing thing to behold.

One more, vote for Lief, he really loves his job, one of the best in the business.
I'm telling you guys my next trip to Cancun, i will book a dive or two (maybe more) with him, he is great.

Now going back to Manta, i just came back from Cancun i did the most of my dives with them, great time, and if the air was your concern, forget about it, the old compressor is gone, now they get the air from another operator, plus Lief only works for this shop, so if you want to get to meet him you'll have to book with Manta.

Now, i did my first dive with Scuba Cancun, it was great, The DM was incredible "Jaime" and as a Captain Felipe was really good too, is your choice, is plenty of operators in Cancun.

The compressor is not GONE ... they just don`t have place to put it now ... so they are waiting ... also they suposely fixed ... lie ... it will always be like that ... it is not the best ... NOW, yes they used the air from another place, as soonest as they can they will be back to their same old compresor ...

Life, is good, defetenaly, the problem is that you can only book him true manta, and many times if they didn`t get enough people the cancel the dive, with 1000 excuses ...

Good luck with manta, they are going worse everyday ... the services I and many others have had are not good, to be honest, it all comes down to the instructor you have that day and in which humor he got up ...

orangelemon:
Just remembered something that lief said to me, he said you should become an instructor as soon as you can, and I took his advice and havent regretted it for a moment, as I have left the UK and started a business and loving it so far.

Lief, If you read this, thanks a lot dude, there are people I have met in this business that love their job so much, that your passion transmits to others and becomes infectious. For the record the other people that have inspired me are Steve Prior (Course Director) and Jane Stevens (Adventures in Diving, UK) Here are three people that have a true love of their job, that is an amazing thing to behold.

James,

I will pass this info on to Life next time I see him. If you want PM me your last name or a brief story that I can tell Life so he knows who I am talking about.

Dennis

My husband and I just returned from Puerto Aventuras, about 50 miles southwest of CanCun and 15 miles from Playa Del Carmen. We stayed at the Sunscape and did our diving with Prodive located at the Suncape hotel. We both are pretty new to diving, so we werent' sure what to expect. We never expected to have the tripof our lives! We have so many great memories. From diving in the Cenotes, to diving with the beautiful turtles; we will never forget the experiences and the wonderful staff at Prodive Mexico. They're link on the web is prodivemex.com! Hope this isn't to late to help.

The only operator I know is Aquaworld, but I did a Discover Scuba with them 2 years ago. They were cool, but when I talked to them about doing my OW referral, they were trying to talk me into doing an AOW right away. ***?! and they are the most expensive....so stay away!

I already left a negative mark on Aquaworld, so I am not going to repeat it. However, I would not hold them negatively on the recommendation to do the AOW immediately after OW cert.

The more supervised a new diver is, the more they will learn and be better divers. So to me, it doesn't matter if you go from OW to AOW, as long as you are not trying to be a divemaster or instructor in a hurry, the better the diver it makes you.

It can be said that you would gain more from your AOW if you had more dives, made more mistakes, and earn more experience. But who say that your extra time with formal diving instruction would make you a worse diver.

The more courses you take, the better the diver you become. So I would not hold that against Aquaworld. However, I do believe they need to maintain their equipment better, and focus more on diver safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom