unruly 7' hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could also use two hose clamps and a short piece of 2" webbing, similar to how Salvo and other can lights are setup, though Tobin's method is slick and cheaper.

Before I had a can light, I ended up routing mine around a 4# weight on my weightbelt. Perfect size for the hose to loop around. Of course, this was after sticking it through the waistband of my BP/W rig, and my knife was also in there, and it would usually catch the hose if it slipped off of the weight I had it routed around.

A pocket on the webbing would work just as well, methinks, as my weight did.

Thanks Cave Diver

Yes we do. You can see it here.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335

Pretty simple, just a length of ABS pipe wih slots for the harness webbing.

I made the first one for my daughter, so she could learn to manage a long hose before dad buys her a can light.:shocked2:

Tobin

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sorry Tobin, you know I respect you and you have helped me out in the past :wink:
But all I could think of when I saw this was those fake car phone antenna's people used to stick on there back car windows.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Sorry Tobin, you know I respect you and you have helped me out in the past :wink:
But all I could think of when I saw this was those fake car phone antenna's people used to stick on there back car windows.

IIRC, Tobin posted before that he'd originally made one for his daughter(?) and others that saw it thought it was a great idea and encouraged him to add it to his website.

Please excuse my ignorance but I am willing to ask dumb questions to further my knowledge, skills and equipment. I recently added a 7' hose to my primary second stage.I understand how the hose is supposed to be routed down the side, under the can light, across the chest, around the neck and into the mouth. My problem is I have everything except the can light and find the hose tends to float wherever it wants to. It is very unruly( kind of reminds me of my first child).I tried tucking it into my waist strap with little success. I do dive double 72's. Am I the first to ever have this problem? Anyone have a can light they would like to donate to a developing fellow diver (or possibly another inexpensive solution)?

Thanks

Ok. Andy mentioned routing. Here's a bit more detail.

You don't need a can light. You problem is very likely which way the hose "points" starting at the first stage. It needs to be pointing (aiming) straight down the side of the tank. If it's not pointing straight down then it has a much higher tendency to float away from behind your neck and up over your head.

As for routing, if you're using a stab-jacket then tuck the hose in between the jacket and the tank all the way down until it comes out under the pocket of the jacket. If you're using a BP/W, then you can choose for in-front or behind the wing. Probably in your case, if you tuck the hose in between the wing and the tank then you'll find it stays put better.

The big point here being tht how you route the hose starting right at the first stage has a determining effect on how well it stays put.

As for the can-light, to keep it in place you can also just hook the hose under a weight-block. ONce you have it routed correctly then you probably don't even need to do that.

R..

I'd love to see some out & in water pictures of 7' hose routing. Seems like there was an older post with pictures, but the pictures no longer display.

IIRC, Tobin posted before that he'd originally made one for his daughter(?) and others that saw it thought it was a great idea and encouraged him to add it to his website.

Wonder how many he has sold?

Enough to have an account with the local plumbing supply for pipe....

We sell quite a few of these to instructors who lend them to students.

Tobin
That's great Tobin, only you!
I will go eat humble pie for poking at your greatness.

Enough to have an account with the local plumbing supply for pipe....

We sell quite a few of these to instructors who lend them to students.

Tobin

Kind of reminds me of those fake car-phones you used to be able to buy so people would think you're important... LOL

Oh well. It's good for you and I'm glad you can profit from it but it does make me shake my head.... When will people learn. Skills issues should be solved by learning not by buying.

R..

Back
Top Bottom