Unrealistic Deco Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... It was a joke, Rick... we don't actually request the stuff... The times where we are on a remote site, we're often asked why there's a 210 sticker on the tank. The truth is, we label all of our bottles with a MOD - it's a simple, straightforward method of labeling and telling the diver how deep he can go using that gas, based on PO2s. Typically, the labels will say, "20," "70," "100," "120," or "210." ...But I was joking about it. I don't know why you're still focusing on the subject. Get over it...
Ah, now I understand. You see, earlier, when you said "We find it hilarious when we go into a shop at a remote dive site and ask for a 210 mix and they look at us like we've lost our marbles" I thought you meant that you find it hilarious when you go into a shop at a remote dive site and ask for a 210 mix and they look at you like you've lost your marbles.
That's why I was still focusing on it. But now that I understand that "... we don't actually request the stuff... we're often asked why... The truth is, we label all of our bottles with a MOD" well, there's nothing to focus on, is there, and I'm all over it.
It was my failure, not seeing the joke.
Obviously.
:)
Rick

Sorry, Rick... I didn't realize that you'd dwell on it unless I fully explained what really goes on. I thought that when I said, "I normally just say, 'Air, please,'" you'd realize that I normally just say, "Air, please."

Actually, normally we do our own fills and don't go to shops at all... Especially after building our own fill stations, including one that we can take to remote sites. It's probably been two years since we last saw the inside of a dive shop, with the exception of stopping in to see friends when we're on the road (some of them are shop owners).

...But in those cases when we do go into a foreign shop, we normally just say, "Air, please" when we need air. It's usually them that ask us why there's a 210 sticker on a tank that's slated for E-grade only (our other tanks are reserved for modified J grade - what shops typically call "oxygen compatible air," which is also a misnomer), and yes, we usually find that entertaining since we know that most shops don't label their air tanks at all, and that it's a "foreign language" to them to consistently label ALL breathing gas with the MOD. We feel that makes more sense, regardless of whether the dive industry considers that "the norm" or not. What's in that tank is safe to the labeled depth, period.

...And before you chew that up with regards to the narcotic effect of air at 210, I agree that there's better, less narcotic gasses to use at that depth. The point of the label, however, is that if you're at 190, for example, and need gas, a 210 mix won't kill you. A 70 mix would. The labels are a simple way of knowing whether we're putting that gun to our head or not.

In that light, I'm sure you can understand - we care less about what "language" the dive community uses as a whole, and more about how far we can go with what gas before it'll kill us.

With all due respect, Rick, now that we've got that sorted out... Would you mind if we focus on the thread topic instead of repeatedly hijacking it?

Group hug.:D

Move along.:wink:

Hey, for what it's worth, I had an interesting situation today...

Parris Island (the US Marine recruiting center) called me today in a tizzy and explained to me that their compressor was down. Apparently they have this new, cool system called, "BlueFire" or something, which is apparently a super-advanced, high-tech cross between laser tag, paintball, and a video game. They use it to train Marines to handle their weapons.

...Anyway, they couldn't fill their scuba tanks, which they use to "air up" their weapons. Apparently this is critical to the functioning of the system. They asked me if I could fill their 17 or 18 tanks for them.

Sensing a contract, of course, I said yes. :)

When I was done filling the first tank, out of habit I went to label it... And thought of you, Rick, when I wondered what MOD to write down. After all, I don't know how deep their guns can go - but my bet is that it'd totally confuse the entire situation to put a "210" on it. :)

I wrote, "FULL" on each tank as I filled them. Later, I explained to them that once they were done with the tank, they were to pull the sticker off and throw it away. Once a week I'll be stopping by and picking up any tank without a sticker. Problem solved, contract earned. :)

Anyway, I thought of this thread. :)

You know, labeling it "AIR" would work, too, although the diver would then have to translate that to "210" (or 220, depending on if they want to round up or down) or "Stoned at anything more than about 60 feet or so," or whatever. :)

...So, yeah... For the first time in more than two decades, I wrote something other than what I usually write on an air fill. Odd timing, considering this conversation.

Oh, and for what it's worth, all of their tanks were 3442psi HP80's with $60 convertible valves on them. What a waste of money. What, did they need good bouyancy characteristics or something? An AL80 with a standard K valve would work exactly the same for less than half the price. Times 18 tanks or so. Times the number of installations like this around the country. Nothing like our tax dollars at work...

'Course, I didn't say a thing... I just smiled and said, "Can do, sir!" :) Thank you, PI, for the business. :)

Okay. </hijack>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom