Unknown / Unidentified Object (Pt Loma -- 230 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a bit behind on posts with new discoveries. I just got back from a two week trip to Bikini Atoll and I'm catching up on some local dive posts before I get started on the Bikini posts.

This is an object that we found based on a side-scan return while we were looking at other targets. We jumped in to find something that is a bit odd. I'm posting it here in case anybody has some idea of what it is.

Full post with photos & a photogrammetry model is at:

A screen shot of the photogrammetry model is below:

girders-model-1.png

Regards,

- brett

Have no idea what that is but my 60+ year-old navy friends have told me that when they were shipboard they would throw all kinds of stuff overboard. In fact that was the default disposal method for "stuff" they did not need any longer.

BTW can you recommend a basic side-scan unit? I'm looking at the Humminbird Helix for debris collection tasks but it is really more for fishfinding I think. I'd actually like to get something that can function 100% underwater, operated from a DPV, but I don't think that exists.

Have no idea what that is but my 60+ year-old navy friends have told me that when they were shipboard they would throw all kinds of stuff overboard. In fact that was the default disposal method for "stuff" they did not need any longer.

BTW can you recommend a basic side-scan unit? I'm looking at the Humminbird Helix for debris collection tasks but it is really more for fishfinding I think. I'd actually like to get something that can function 100% underwater, operated from a DPV, but I don't think that exists.

Thanks, Rick.

I really don't have a good recommendation. We use an in-hull side-scan unit by (I think) Raytheon. For something on an ROV, most people use a forward looking sonar.

- brett

Back
Top Bottom